I have a date and time problem

Bobbye

Windows XP Home: 6 year old laptop, no other problems, well maintained and clean

Today is Wed., Jan. 10 2012. It is 9:30PM, Eastern Time.
My clock is telling me that it is Wed., Jan 11, 2012 and 9:30AM, Eastern Time.

It thinks it's 12 hours earlier tomorrow! I went through the entire Adjust Date/Time. I can't put the correct date of Jan. 11 in, because that would make it Tuesday on day of the week. I can't get the PM to hold.

I thought if I change the clock to the 24 hour Military Time that I might be able to resolve the problem. But going through the Control Panel> "Date, Time, Language and Regional Options" icon> clicking on the task "Change the format of numbers, dates and times" does not open the screen to select the "H" for the 24 hour clock.

I've heard tales of the CMOS battery, but never had any problem. I have no idea how the time (except for the AM vs PM) and day could be correct, but both the AM or PM could be wrong and today gets tomorrow's date!

Would appreciate any assistance. I've had so few system problems over the years that I have no experience in problems like this.

Also, have you tried
> Click to select "AM" under the clock (it should highlight)
> Click the up or down arrow to its right should flip it to PM
> Click Apply

/* edit */
referring to the clock you see after you open Date/Time to adjust it

Yes, tried different internet server. Yes tried the reset to PM. I tried both resetting the entire time line-and-using the drop down to highlight PM. But last night, the PM didn't stay.

Now here is something that will make me nuts: When I logged on this morning, time said 9:50PM- I didn't check the date. But I blinked and the clock is correct now at 9:57AM and the date is correct at Jan.12!

Go figure! The one thing I didn't do last night was reboot. But I did close down later so had to reboot this morning. It could have been something that simple- but I have no idea what caused either the wrong change or change back to right time and date!

Thanks for suggestions. :)

I know this has already been solved, but I was curious about your original post. You said "Today is Wed., Jan. 10 2012. It is 9:30PM, Eastern Time." But, January 10 was a Tuesday. How would setting the date to January 11 make your date say Tuesday as well?

Good grief! You are totally correct- that was a careless mistake! But it really did say AM when it was PM. Well, I thought it did, because the clock wouldn't stay at the PM setting.

That must have been a really long day! Thanks you for handling my confusion so gently and patiently. :)

Haha, no problem. Had plenty of those days myself. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something when reading the post.

It was a good reminder to check and double check and on an on! If I didn't check the time and date on my computer occasionally, I would even know what month we're in!

Back