I have a Dell Optiplex gx620, I removed the jumper from PSWD to RTCRST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try clearing the CMOS by moving the jumper and now my dell computer is making a beeping noise and wont turn on, What the heck did I do wrong? I didnt unplug it when I moved the jumper, would that make the computer not work anymore?HELP!!!

You moved the jumper without turning off the computer?
Why did you need to clear the CMOS?
Did you have a password installed that you were trying to remove?
What is the pattern of the beeps? How many beeps and what are the groupings?
We have a GX620 here which we may be able to use to trouble shoot.
Although I do not yet know, very often when you change jumpers while the computer is on and working, you can permanently damage the motherboard. But lets keep our hopes up.

Thank you here is what is going on.......

Thanks for your reply and wanting to help me!!

-Ok there are a total of 6 beeps when pc is turned on

-There is a slight pause in between the 4th and 5th beep

-When you first start it up an orange light comes on, everything seems normal then it shuts off for a sec, then comes back on with a green light then the beeping starts, the fan is running and everything just no response on the screen at all.

-Yes I wanted to change the Admin password because I forgot it, and it said in the manual to reset the PSWD by removing the jumper

Do you know how to identify the CMOS battery? It is what stores all the information for the motherboad. It is round, like a US Quarter coin, only twice as thick.

Remove that Battery, and wait an hour.
This will allow a reset of the BIOS on most Optiplex motherboards.

Then replace that battery and see if it will allow you to boot to the <F2>, <F10>, or <F12>, or if you still have the beeps.

If you can, depress the <F12> to get the screen that allows you to reset all the hardware items..

If you cannot, you should call Dell Tech Support for advice.

The motherboard for the GX620 is available on eBay at a reasonable price... $45 to $70, depending on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back