I have FX 8350 + M5A78L- USB3 throttling

andy acord

I have fx 8350 + m5a78l- usb3 throttling but my temps are fine. I 1st notice it with random stutters in games so run some benchmarks notice that all cores will drop to 1.4 ghz and have window set to high performance so min should be 4ghz . It does the same thing in rocket league. I thought it was power supply but replacing it didn't fix stuttering but did allowed system to boot with two drives.

fx 8350
m5a78l- usb3 AMD 760G (780L)/SB710
16gb
rx580 4gb
evga 850 bronze

Check for dust bunnies, clean up HDD, defrag, DDT your video driver and download and install newest WHQL version. Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

Done that then clean install already. Don't think this is something new may have there from the beginning didn't notice it at beginning because I was not playing a competitive online games and thought it was just HD issues I check out ok even ran faster on my friends pc. Then I replaced the power supply because it couldn't handle it rated wattage of 650 anymore this did help a lot stability and then replaced the 2 pipe heat sink with cooler master hyper 612 evo none of this help with random drop frequency even thou cpu temps barely reach 48c package temp at max load. cpu at full draws 46.754W. Reading from are hwinfo64. I trying to put off upgrading to ddr4 or "5 if released" system for another year .

Leads to an impression that the feed to the CPU is throttled - might be a bad controller or something less than ideal in the voltage regulation on the motherboard. The CPU draw is weird. It is a 125 watt TDP part. Try 'google' on 'CPU underclocking itself' to see if anything matches up with what is happening to you.

a quote from toms hardware forum about my cpu mobo combo
"You're pretty much looking at getting a new case and new motherboard to be able to reliably solve this problem, there are no MicroATX AM3+ motherboards that have adequate power delivery for the FX 8350. You've already applied VRM heatsinks, and those haven't fixed it, really the only other thing you could do is get a downdraft CPU cooler that blows air down onto the CPU and VRMs and hope that stops the throttling. If you're really desperate to avoid a new case, you could try undervolting and underclocking your CPU, which would reduce the power consumption and take some pressure off the VRMs, but you'd lose some performance in doing so" and here a link to another someone same problem https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/throttling-with-fx-8350.2322476/ So basic buying a different motherboard only way invest in a 990 ($110 used ebay) broad but would a 970($60 used ebay) do and are these assessment right?

I would test the 'hot' VRM chip idea by adding cooling - maybe a house fan full blast with the case open.

I have been wondering if this is a 'Cool 'n' Quiet' issue. See wiki background https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool'n'Quiet try google on that and the word 'problem'...

Your CPU is among the fully supported chips for your board. See QVL on Asus site. https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A78LUSB3/HelpDesk_CPU/

I have an M2A-VM still in service - and I seem to remember a tussle with this 'feature' - um, a decade or so ago. Had to turn it off in BIOS.

In the end, if it is VRM, a slight underclock may be the best solution (100% of 85% is more than 35% of 100%).

a quote from toms hardware forum about my cpu mobo combo
"You're pretty much looking at getting a new case and new motherboard to be able to reliably solve this problem, there are no MicroATX AM3+ motherboards that have adequate power delivery for the FX 8350. You've already applied VRM heatsinks, and those haven't fixed it, really the only other thing you could do is get a downdraft CPU cooler that blows air down onto the CPU and VRMs and hope that stops the throttling. If you're really desperate to avoid a new case, you could try undervolting and underclocking your CPU, which would reduce the power consumption and take some pressure off the VRMs, but you'd lose some performance in doing so" and here a link to another someone same problem https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/throttling-with-fx-8350.2322476/ So basic buying a different motherboard only way invest in a 990 ($110 used ebay) broad but would a 970($60 used ebay) do and are these assessment right?

Whoever told you that on tomshardware has their head on straight be sure to mark that as the best answer.
I am listening to the problem and it really sounds like that old mobo is having problems.
Now I need you to answer my questions before you buy a new mobo soon.

*Take a picture of the inside of your case, tell us exactly type of heatsink/water cooling do you have.

*Tell us what type of thermal grease do you have, how did you apply it.

*Tell us what fans are in it and how it is installed.

Those things I mentioned, is enough to make that fx 8350 burn up or die out to too much throttling or heat stress.
The AMD FX Series sadly couldn't handle that type of abuse compared to its older am3 cpu brothers.

I found out disabling amd turbo core tech reduce stutters by about 2/3 and increase my cinebench from 789 to1074 and I disable quiet and cool it stop 1 stutter in cb20 so I'm down to 3 or 4 stutters. Vrm cooling is going to be problem my heatsink is to big it is 3/4 inch from the case fan. I leave the side panel off because it is like a Thermaltake Versa H22 but with a small window. It been 2 years since since the paste has been changed so is it about time (I usually do it once every 3 years) ? I will get some pics during the day but pretty crammed all you really can is video card and Heat sink.

2 years yeah buy artic mx-4 thermal grease.
Clean off the left over grease on both CPU and heatsink.
Put 4 small pee size dots on side of the CPU.
Slow add on the heatsink fan and give it 3 minutes to settle.
Your 8 core should see a good steady drop in tempatures.
If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and Chuck the mobo.
Try to find a much more stable msi am3+ mobo.

Back