I have questions about Spector Pro software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tepeco

This is a shot in the dark. I'm looking for a Spector Pro user for some troubleshooting advice.

I cannot get support on this software and wonder if anyone on this forum uses it and has moved it from one computer to another. My home machine went belly up and I replaced it with a Toshiba laptop from my office. When I installed the software, it did not respond to the hotkey. I reinstalled it twice with the same results, then reinstalled it using the non-stealth installation. This allowed me to enter the program, however I see that it is not recording anything even though all the settings are correctly at default. This computer is set up the same as the desktop that was in my office. It has XP home premium, same as before. The hotkeys used were the default hotkeys. Installation was done with all spyware and virus detection software disabled.

This company has a 6 month support policy and I think that is inappropriate for simple questions. At the very least, their online help should address troubleshooting. This software is registered with them and perfectly legal, being used on only one machine. Their FAQ section indicates that the software disables itself if used on more than one machine and since this is a second machine replacing a dead one, their website controls cannot see that and sees this as a pirated copy.

The company won't even answer that simple question without charging me $30. I would like to circumvent that charge for such simple inquiry.

sorry. piracy is not condoned here on TS.

Either pay for the software or seek alternatives.

Take a TS member at thier word?

Wow Tedster
Thats a rather presumptive and viceral response to a fellow TS members request for help. he has stated that it is a legally purchased and registered copy of the software. And you have outright said that he did not purchase it. "Either pay for the software or seek alternatives."
he has also stated that he is moving the software (liscense) to a different machine to replace one that no longer exists, not duplicate it. most software licence's are in both written and spirit to be 'one liscense per workstation' including Spector Pro. In short you are assuming that Tepeco is committing a felony, and pirating software......why?
To answer your question tepeco, I helped a friend with the same problem who needed to monitor his computer because of a nosey brother in law who was staying with them for the summer. His mobo died and his new rig would not re-install the software, well at least it would not function. I was told by the tech @ spectorsoft that it could be moved to another machine, and that when you install it it 'marries' that machine and is disabled for another install, and you had to call them to re-activate. and he walked me through activating it again. so if its the same way now (this copy was 2005 version) you can either pay the $30.00, or see if you can get a sypathetic ear @ spectorsoft. considering that the software is about $100.00 a copy , it might be worth it.

I make no apologies. He specifically stated he has shareware. The current key has expired. Therefore he needs to pay to register the software or seek alternative software.

My statement stands. and BTW- I am always direct to the point.

Tedster, since you like being direct, let me be direct also. You made a bold statement "He specifically stated he has shareware". That wasn't said at all. That is an assumption, not fact and shows me you either don't know how to read or you don't care to read with accuracy. The next statement is: "The current key has expired". Another assumption without merit. And then after red1776 points out the facts to you, you are still treating my post as a ploy to cheat and deceive the software company. That's not direct and to the point, that's just mean spirited. You don't appear to be looking for the best in anyone and that's sad.

The product I have is not shareware. Never was, never will be. I paid for a full working copy of this software which tracks keystrokes & web page visits and keeps my kids honest while surfing the web. It was and is registered.

Red1776, thanks for what appears to be the answer to my problem. The two techs I have talked to from the company's support staff, have refused to discuss anything and wouldn't even tell me what you just told me. No hint, no help. Yes, I suppose that if I want to use this software, which they acknowledge is licensed to me, and would still be working, had I not had to change machines, I will have to pay them. Thank you for your time. And Tedster... be nice!

This is a shot in the dark. I'm looking for a Spector Pro user for some troubleshooting advice.

I cannot get support on this software and wonder if anyone on this forum uses it and has moved it from one computer to another. My home machine went belly up and I replaced it with a Toshiba laptop from my office. When I installed the software, it did not respond to the hotkey. I reinstalled it twice with the same results, then reinstalled it using the non-stealth installation. This allowed me to enter the program, however I see that it is not recording anything even though all the settings are correctly at default. This computer is set up the same as the desktop that was in my office. It has XP home premium, same as before. The hotkeys used were the default hotkeys. Installation was done with all spyware and virus detection software disabled.

This company has a 6 month support policy and I think that is inappropriate for simple questions. At the very least, their online help should address troubleshooting. This software is registered with them and perfectly legal, being used on only one machine. Their FAQ section indicates that the software disables itself if used on more than one machine and since this is a second machine replacing a dead one, their website controls cannot see that and sees this as a pirated copy.

The company won't even answer that simple question without charging me $30. I would like to circumvent that charge for such simple inquiry.

I defy you to show me where he said "specifically that he has shareware" in his post..it does not exist. he says only that, "This software is registered with them and perfectly legal," . secondly, you had the advantage of my post (a person who actually has experience with the software and the tech support) ...but oh wait! i guess i must be a software pirate as well, you have no evidence or reason, but that does not seem to stop you. I have learned something from you however. apperently as long as you consider yourself "direct and to the point", you get to 1.)accuse others of thievery with no evidence to support it .2.) put words in thier post that dont exist. 3) not apologize even when you are dead to rights wrong. pretty nifty policy...say whatever you want, and not take resposibility for it. and with it insulted at least one fellow TS member.
So one more time.....
1.) what evidence do you have that he is a software pirate?
2.) where does it state in his post that: "He specifically stated he has shareware"?

Lest you wonder why i am pursuing this so vigorously, its a big deal to me when people go around accussing others of nefarious acts with absolutly no reason or evidence to support it, while taking cover in thier own obfuscation. Your 'minority report' approach to this persons request for help is wholly irresponsible and insulting. you are a TechSpot evangelist, not a TechSpot god.
have a great day.

Red, I can't reply to your PM since I don't have at least 45 posts on the boards yet. I got a pop up to that effect. Guess I'll have to post more often. Thanks for your comments.

Please email support, info here: http://www.spectorsoft.com/contact/
And state what you have said in Post#1 (even refer the thread to them, if need be)

This doesn't sound like a piracy issue to me

The support team at Spectorsoft are only telling me that my program is not disabled and that I can load it again if I wish, but will not respond beyond that without paying for support, something I feel is not warranted. When I first installed it on my laptop, the program prompted me that an upgrade was available and would I like to download and install it. I did. The program installed without any errors or message pop ups but simply doesn't do anything.

You can not get to it if it's installed in the stealth mode, only if it's installed in the normal way other programs are installed. You can navigate to all menus and change settings, personalize it and/or just about anything, however the program does not perform any function at all. It just sits there. Right now, I'm looking at other products. I feel that providing an upgrade that disturbs normal operation, without offering at the very least, a troubleshooting guide for the upgrade, is less than stellar service to their customers. I could be wrong.... but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back