I Just Got The Strangest Phone Call

captaincranky

I usually unplug my phone, but I was expecting a call from Verizon, so I left it on and have been answering it.

A strange man with a heavy Indian, call center accent, began babbling on about my computer, "sending out messages". So, I asked him, "what message is that"? He told me he's "from Microsoft", and he wants me to get in front of my computer so he can "give me some suggestions".

I pressured him to "tell me which one of my computers is sending these messages, and what operating system is on it". So, he tells me "it's either Windows or Mac". I hung up on him.

So he calls back! More nonsense, and I ask again which Windows OS is he talking about, "there's about 10 of them". I'm told, "this affect ALL Windows". Then he says, "I can tell you're not trusting me". (That's one perceptive dude). I tell him, "how about if I just reformat it, it's about due"? But he continues how I have to be at my computer. For laughs, I relent and tell him I'll go sit in front of my computer. I sit the phone down and head downstairs. But, "alas", the phone is dead when I get there.

Anyway, this thing has been acting strange on svchost. using huge amount of RAM and CPU, I kill the offending process(s), and drop its priority. A couple of these kills led to error messages about "Windows update", but added, "an instance of the service was already running". (If this had anything to due with M$ update, you'd think they'd have the good taste to not lock up my browser, screwing around with updates).

What's up here" Was that really M$ on the phone? Is it time to reformat this turd?

PS, I've been doing my banking from live runs of Linux ;)

"

What ever you do don't give them remote access to your machine or download anything from their links. That is until after you make them prove they are who they say they are.

There's lots of Robo calls and socially engineered phishing attempts occurring everywhere.

If your system were spamming or a slave to some Bot, your own ISP would be on your back, not some M$ person overseas.

Here's my tip for unknown callers.
  • create a contact name like IgnoreME and leave everything else blank
  • when the call arrives, let it ring at least twice to allow the Caller-Id to be found
  • if you know the caller, answer the call
  • OTHERWISE, ignore it and let it go to Voice Mail
  • If you don't get a VM with a minute, AHH! it's a robo call, so go back to Missed Calls and Add to Contact and store into IgnoreME
  • Next time he/she/they call, it will show IgnoreME - - follow directions :grin:
  • Now if you get a VM and it's a business call you know, follow-up and then edit IgnoreME to remove the number.
On my 3g device, I can store 5 numbers / contact and attempting to store #6 yields a clear message about maxed out. Oh gee, create IgnoreME-2 and store it there. So far I'm up to IgnoreME-6

To find who these Creton's are, google the phone number and learn what others are dealing with.

my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:
What ever you do don't give them remote access to your machine or download anything from their links. That is until after you make them prove they are who they say they are.
Sound advice. I made certain remote access was dead a couple of weeks ago, after I noticed some bizarre "anonymous" logins from the web. I think it may be Verizon's server checking up on me, but I'm not sure.

There's lots of Robo calls and socially engineered phishing attempts occurring everywhere.
Yeah, this sounded like an attempt at a social engineering exploit. But what made it so bizarre was, I got the call on a hard wired landline! I was worried that the svchost high mem and CPU issues could have been a hack that somehow grabbed my home phone number...:eek: The whole idea of a phishing scam on a landline kind of broke my head.

Anyway, I'm not technically advanced or fiscally responsible enough to have a smart phone, so I considered star six-nining whoever it was, but that always seems to lead back to a blocked number. I suggested I was going to my computer as a play along, but said, "after we're done, I'm going to give M$ a call", which apparently precipitated a disconnect on the part of, "my new Indian friend". I scanned C:/ with MSE, and still can't find anything suspect.

Thanks to both of you for the help and moral support! :).

I got the call on a hard wired landline! ...
Anyway, I'm not technically advanced or fiscally responsible enough to have a smart phone,
You can still use the voice mail preview technique. Real people with real need to talk to you WILL leave a message.

See now, if you had led off with, "this is the great spirit in Redmond. Pale puss have um problem with sacred picture & number box", I would have stayed on the line.:p

Heheheh,
But then I would have to scalp you......but I'm so drunk I can't find my tomahawk.
....and were off....

It's fun to be politically incorrect and self deprecating at the same time.

...[ ]....Heheheh,
But then I would have to scalp you......but I'm so drunk I can't find my tomahawk.
....and were off.........
Well, 200 years of history should have taught you to watch out for that firewater.

Then there's William the Great's take:

10. Macbeth: Act 2, Scene 3
Drink sir, is a great provoker of three things….nose painting, sleep and urine. Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes the desire but takes away the performance.

In other words, it makes the shaft of your tomahawk a tad limp.

Moving on, I have until midnight my time to, (ostensibly), make a Columbus Day sale on this keyboard: http://www.casiomusicgear.com/products/menu_CompactDigitalPiano/CGP-700

I have a synth from 2 decades ago, but the only thing it won't do, is sound like a piano.(The piano setting does nothing but tail off to digital fizzle). Will that thing sound like a piano?

Back