I think I have a fried motherboard

Ok, about a month ago my Girlfriend's eMachines ET1641-02w quit working. I thought the PS gave out so I took it apart and swapped out the PS with a known good PS (450W) and still the machine will fire up for about 3 seconds then turn off. Machine does not post and never is on long enough for the display to even start.

Now...if I unplug the 4pin CPU power plug the pc stays runnign but of course that is completely useless......

Not sure what to do....PC has been replaced but this machine is much better than the pc's our kids use and would like to save it if I can.....even if I have to replace the MB....my question really is do any of you think it's possibly the CPU?

I understand that if i change the MB then the emachines EULA for Vista is now void and I'll have to reinstall windows.....

any help would be great

Paul

It could be the motherboard but it's hard to say for sure. You could try to run the PC on just one RAM stick and then swap it out for the other stick to see if anything changes. Are you running it with the onboard graphics? Do you have access to a separate graphics card to test with?

All this is just to test your parts and to eliminate them as the source of the problem. In the end it could come down to the motherboard or CPU. My guess would be the motherboard first.

Back