I want to create a XP SP3 disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

clarkey2r

Hi All

I am It support for a company and trying create a windows xp CD without any luck!

Basically I have a dell xp sp3 disk and a volume license.
I want to create a standard xp sp3 disk that will work with our volume licence!

Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance!

EDIT : I need to use this disk on Dells, HP's and a couple of elonex pc's!

So your Windows CD is an OEM and you want to use it to install and accept the VLM Product Key, right?

This has to do with the "PID" in the "setupp.ini" file in the "i386" directory on your CD, if you are using nLite, edit the file as follows, save, close and burn.

First check and see if your "Pid" has OEM at the end of it, even if it doesn't, if you change it to VLM, it should accept your Product key.

please note, you only change the last 3 digits, as in change the OEM to 270 and leave the other numbers the same, whatever they are.

Volume License = 51883 270

OEM = 82503 OEM

Also note that this might be considered illegal by Microsoft, IMO, if you have legal product key or license, it should be OK!

Let us know

EDIT: the string to look for should look something like this:

Code:
ExtraData=707A667567736F696F697911AE7E05 
Pid=55034000

To the best of my knowledge you cannot do what you want with a Dell OEM XP3 disk. It is designed only to load on Dells.

Even if you use a 'standard XP SP3 CD, you will still need to install separately for Dell, HP and Elonex because the hardware drivers will be completely different. They will be different even for the same manufacturer if they are not the same model of PC.

All he needs is the i386 folder and it's contents, if the CD is customized by Dell, he can edit and /or remove some directories and files.

The directories and files that Dell could've added and /or editted are the following
"$OEM$" directory in the root of the CD with sub-directory of "$1" which contains the sub-directory of "drivers"

the following files in the i386 folder:

SETUPP.INI
TXTSETUP.SIF
WINNT.SIF

These are about the only files and folders any manufcturer can add or edit except the Hotfixes which requires more entries.

At the most, he has to remove the "$OEM$" folder and replace the SETUPP.INI, TXTSETUP.SIF and WINNT.SIF with the "original" generic files from another CD then edit the SETUPP.INI with the PID information.

If there are older systems that require F6 during setup for SATA/ RAID drivers, the information could be added easily using nLite rather than doing it manually!

What would be different about the txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif from standard to OEM as they are both edited by nlite anyway?

thanks
matt

You have to check the files by yourself and see if Dell has added anything, If nLite editted these files, it most probably added to whatever Dell had already done (that's an IF), you can try and change the PID, then see if it works. You probably will see Dell's support info when viewing System properties, these could be altered or removed easily. We can't see your CD, if it was made (burned) by Dell you should be able to tell, if it looks like an Original XP CD, you don't need to worry about non of the above except the PID!

The PID for OEM CDs has letters OEM instead of numbers, all you need to do is to delete OEM and type 270 over it, this tells the setup to accept VLM keys.

If you are not sure, just use any XP Pro CD (original) slipstream SP3 and any hotfixes you want, edit the PID and burn yourself a CD.

I have a HP XP MCE DVD that when I use it on HP systems, don't even ask for a product key, but when I use it on other systems, I have to enter a product key. This shows that they can have setup retrieve information from the CMOS.

If after changing PID and doing a test install, you experience problems, we can look in to the files for you if you wanted too, as long as you don't post your key and important information if any with them files!.

Some CDs that have been editted with the OEM's information might also contain "sysprep" folder and an "unattend.txt" file but usually this file needs to be renamed to "winnt.sif"

The OEM, Retail, Corporate, VLM, Special Student (forgot what is called) CDs all have the same i386 folder which is of most importance but the PID tells the setup what keys to accept.

GB and Sharam are correct but GB is more so.

The i386 folder has been modified by Dell in several ways. You will need to reverse these mod in some way to get the standard slipstreaming and or CD builder like nLite to work correctly.

However if you had a standard i386 folder as Sharam said no problem.

Mike

I have tried to change the PID but what ever key I entered I got "Invalid Key"

I have a HP XP MCE DVD that when I use it on HP systems, don't even ask for a product key, but when I use it on other systems, I have to enter a product key. This shows that they can have setup retrieve information from the CMOS.

On a completely different note, I have been given a 2 year old HP that has MCE on it (plus Gig's and Gig's of other crap/spyware) and I was looking for a OEM copy of HP MCE, i dont suppose you could create an iso for me could you?

I might be mistaken with the 270, let me check.

I might be able to give you access to a download, need to check my space first, and that would be when I get back to the shop later this Eve.

Here are 2 links, the second explains things with full detail, just to make sure, you only changed the last three letters or digits, right?

The second link calls it CID and not PID, that is what needs to be changed and not the MPC I believe, I've never used this myself since I almost have all flavours in my CD case.

I have not read the rules completely yet, eventhough I see live links posted (some forums you are not allowed) I will box the links for now:

Code:
http://www.thetechguide.com/howto/setuppini.html

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs

Right, I have tried 270 and 335 at the end of the PID value with no luck!

I have just noticed that on the CD it says Re-installation CD but as far as i am aware this should not make a difference??

(Answer to PM as I dont have 45 posts yet) Yes I can from home but not at work!

Thanks
Matt

Dell and Microsoft teamed up in 2002 to do everything possible to prevent what you are attempting to do.
First, the Dell install/reinstall looks for code it must find on the computuer EEPROM before it will install, and all current Volume License disks since Service Pack 2 have barriers to duplication because it is such an obvious invitation to fraudulent copies.
You can create a Service Pack 3 disk from a microsoft download on and ISO install that will help a lot... But Microsoft's volume license is designed to look for ANY changes and fail when it finds them. With earlier versions, Service Pack 1 and before, this was not the same.

Yes, the re-install from Dell does make a difference, it is still possible to copy the CD and make changes if one knows what to look for, this requires files and folders from an original i386 folder so why bother? Like raybay suggest. use any XP Pro, slipstream SP3, add SATA/ RAID drivers (this comes in very handy if you added as many as you could) plus whatever else you need, edit the PID and burn.

I'm sure you can find an XP Pro media, doesn't matter what SP level.

I did Network/ System admin for 4 years, with corporate and VLM licenses, I was always able to get the media shipped to me for a minimal charge from the supplier I purchased the license from not even bothering to contact MS directly.

I will send you a link to download the ISO for HP recovery.

I think I may have uncovered something else that may cause an issue, I think the license we have is a win2k to xp pro upgrade one rather than a standard xp pro one!

I remember, VL for full version XP Pro was hard to get unless through select or enterprise channels.

Found this:

Code:
http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/highlights/osbits.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back