I want to install Fedora 13, but the ISO is to big

I downloaded an ISO for fedora 13. But it is 675 megabytes. I only have 650megabyte cd-rw's. Is there a way to split the ISO into two and still be able to boot to it and install both parts from 2 different cd's?

I suggest getting a single or 5-pack of 700MB CD-RWs. They are commonly available.

Do you have a 1GB flash drive? If so, dl unetbootin and just install from a flash drive.

What are you doing with 650MB disks anyway? I don't think anyone has made those in 10 years.

Or you can use my step by step guide to put it on a 1GB stick, by clicking here. SNGX's and my method work just as well though. :)

Installing via USB memory stick is the prefered method if your computer supports booting from USB devices; Its much faster, and saves wasting a CD-R :D

Let's Do Something Madcap, Waste 20 Cents.......

Installing via USB memory stick is the prefered method if your computer supports booting from USB devices; Its much faster, and saves wasting a CD-R :D
"Saves wasting a CD-R", huh? Good Lord man, are times that tough? I thought they would be putting 700MB CD-Rs in CARE Packages by now......:haha:
What are you doing with 650MB disks anyway? I don't think anyone has made those in 10 years.
This reminds me, I still have some Audio CD-Rs I should use before the dye goes bad.

"Saves wasting a CD-R", huh? Good Lord man, are times that tough? I thought they would be putting 700MB CD-Rs in CARE Packages by now......:haha:

We never seem to have any, my missus uses them all to burn stupid audio CD's when her stereo is quite capable of reading/playing mp3 CD's!

So yeah, memory sticks come in handy for me. Besides, having one memory stick with the latest Ubuntu distro makes life easier for me as I can keep it with me and use it on other computers in a relatively fast live mode. ;) Using a CD is pointless when a memory stick is MUCH faster, and less susceptable (sp?) to damage like scratches.

They come with "handle with care" tape; that's close enough! :haha:

We never seem to have any, my missus uses them all to burn stupid audio CD's when her stereo is quite capable of reading/playing mp3 CD's!
OK, here you need to have a personal stash, that is inviolate. Besides, the more s*** on a given disc, the more s** you have to sort through to play what you want. The fact that you can use CD-Audio anywhere notwithstanding.

So yeah, memory sticks come in handy for me. Besides, having one memory stick with the latest Ubuntu distro makes life easier for me as I can keep it with me and use it on other computers in a relatively fast live mode. ;) Using a CD is pointless when a memory stick is MUCH faster, and less susceptable (sp?) to damage like scratches.

They come with "handle with care" tape; that's close enough! :haha:
Yeah well, wait til winter, then shuffle across the carpet and stick your finger in the end of your damnable memory sticks.

And BTW, unless you're going to dedicate an expensive flash drive to that distro, or write the ISO to another HDD, 20 pence still seems like a huge bargain for an OS you can reinstall at will.

I'm not overly bothered about them in all fairness, she know's not to touch my DVD-R's and DVD D/L's, as I don't really have anything small enough thats backed up that will fit on a CD.

:haha: You don't sound like a fan of them?!? Or did you have an incident involving lightning, a tree in an empty field, heavy rain and the aforementioned memory stick?

At last count I had about 15 1GB memory sticks, several 2GB, 2 4GB, and 5 8GB ones...

Losing 3 of them, so I can have one each for 32/64 versions of Ubuntu, and one of my 8GB ones for my bootable OEM Windows 7 Ultimate isn't the end of the world. :haha:

Let's not forget though, that it only needs to actually be on a memory stick to perform the installation. It can be formatted once its finished with. ;)

Or did you have an incident involving lightning, a tree in an empty field, heavy rain and the aforementioned memory stick?
Me personally, no. But I do suggest these things, along with the ceremonial kite, to noobs who desire a full reformat.

At last count I had about 15 1GB memory sticks, several 2GB, 2 4GB, and 5 8GB ones...

Losing 3 of them, so I can have one each for 32/64 versions of Ubuntu, and one of my 8GB ones for my bootable OEM Windows 7 Ultimate isn't the end of the world. :haha:

Let's not forget though, that it only needs to actually be on a memory stick to perform the installation. It can be formatted once its finished with. ;)
No wonder we revolted, you people will argue to the death over 20 cents.

Your definitely showing more concern than me over the 20 cents.. :haha:

It's really not the cost, its just much faster, so takes me less time, which makes me a happier person.

Next you'll be telling me you still listen to, and play 8 tracks?!? :D

It's Not the 20 Cents, it's the Principal..........

I'm not overly bothered about them in all fairness, she know's not to touch my DVD-R's and DVD D/L's,
Real men have them barefoot and pregnant while making them buy their own CD-Rs!. :rolleyes: :haha: :wave:

I downloaded an ISO for fedora 13. But it is 675 megabytes. I only have 650megabyte cd-rw's. Is there a way to split the ISO into two and still be able to boot to it and install both parts from 2 different cd's?

Have a look at this thread

http://www.instantfundas.com/2007/08/install-any-linux-distro-directly-from.html

In a nutshell : You need to create a partition, copy the fedora iso there and change the boot options.

Here is the gist of the article:

1. You need to create a partition primary FAT32 partition using your favorite utility

2. Copy the fedora iso to that partition

3. Extract two files : vmlinuz and initrd.img from the fedora iso

4. Modify the boot options

a) create a boot folder c:\boot
b) download grub4dos and extract a folder called “grub” and a file called “grldr” from it
c) Copy vmlinuz, initrd.img , folder called “grub” and a file called “grldr” to specified location
d) Open c:\boot\grub\menu.lst and add some lines.
e) Modify c:\boot.ini as told

5. Reboot and choose “Start Grub” at the boot screen.

6. From the Grub Screen, you can install Fedora.

Please read and understand the detailed procedure from the link above.

Please note that hda and sda are different. You must recognize your partitions.

For device naming conventions you may see

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/devices.html

Back