I3 to i5 pc *****

chrisarvor

Hi
I play several hours a day gaming mainly on Pubg
I have just upgraded my pc with a GTX 1070 Graphics card
on looking on the net it says my i3 chip thing is to small
I have an AS rock B85M-DGS witha i3-4150 cpu@3.50GHZ

can I just but a i5 to drop into the AS rock???
I am a pc ***** and only get info off the net
Thanks

Thanks for the reply
I have an ASRock B85M-DGS with an i3-4150 3,50 ghz which it says in the info 4th gen ???

it says a can upgrade to an i5 or i7 but what I dont understand is do

I just buy one follow the instructions and drop it in

or is it more complicated than this

any help please

Yes, that's pretty much all you need to do. Although there is quite a difference in power consumption between an i3-4150 and something like an i7-4790K (54W vs 88W), it's not a large amount overall to be concerned about changing the PSU.

If we assume the new chip isn't going to be overclocked, then buying a retail version of the processor will mean it comes with a heatsink and fan - then it's just a case of following instructions:

The same process applies for any 4th gen i5 or i7. You don't need to install any new drivers or change anything in the motherboard BIOS; just plug it in and away you go.

Hi
Yes, that's pretty much all you need to do. Although there is quite a difference in power consumption between an i3-4150 and something like an i7-4790K (54W vs 88W), it's not a large amount overall to be concerned about changing the PSU.

If we assume the new chip isn't going to be overclocked, then buying a retail version of the processor will mean it comes with a heatsink and fan - then it's just a case of following instructions:

The same process applies for any 4th gen i5 or i7. You don't need to install any new drivers or change anything in the motherboard BIOS; just plug it in and away you go.

Hi
Regarding the other thread you gave me info on using an external SSD. Samsung I bought
Which I am now using
I also followed your advice on getting and installing the i7-4790. Processor today

So I put my game on the external drive a few days ago and works better and smoother
But after installing the i7 today the pubg game won't work from my external drive and is uninstalled itself from my steam library ???
I am confused why this has happened yet the other installed games are still in my steam library??
Not blaming you obviously.
When I transferred the game onto my external would this have deleted it from my library??
Yet it still shows on the external but start
Cheers and thanks for all your help
Sadly it will take 8 hours on my Bulgarian Internet to download hahahaha
Cheers

Good to see that the new processor is working well; less good to see that it has partially nerfed your Steam installation. The following info from Valve might be of some use:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8379-RYIP-2998

Try the following part:

Add previously existing alternate installation to Steam
If you had previously installed the games to an alternate location outside of your main Steam folder please try the following:
  1. Launch Steam and go to Steam > Settings > Downloads and click the Steam Library Folders button. This will open a window with all your current Steam Library folders.
  2. Click the "Add Library Folder" button and select the folder with your installed games.
Once you have added the new Library folder your installed games should appear in your Steam Library.

Sadly it will take 8 hours on my Bulgarian Internet to download hahahaha
Hopefully you won't have to!!

Back