IDE and SATA Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all (first question!)

I've just got a new pc, and I deliberately only got 1 hard drive as I was going to take out the slave drive from my old pc. However, being a noob I didn't realise that the old drive (it says it's an ultra sata drive if that helps) is connected to the mobo using an IDE cable, wheras the new drive is connected using the newer SATA 2 thin red cable.

The question is, can I have a SATA 2 connected hard drive and an IDE connected hard drive on the same mobo? I particularly wanted to put in that specific hard drive as I copied all of the pictures of my son onto that drive.

the mobo in question is an ECS P965T-A: DUAL DDR2, S-ATA, x16 VGA, 3 PCI/3 PCI-EX.

Thanks in advance!

If your motherboard has an IDE connector, sure (although Tedster will try to tell you otherwise).

You may get some booting issues depending on the braindeadedness of your BIOS and the Windows installation. The only way to find out is to try :)

Cheers Nodsu, I'll give it a go. I assume it has got an IDE connector - the DVD drives are IDE (or is that not the same thing?). Just thought I'd ask first in case anybody had already tried and failed.

If not, I guess I'll have to just copy everything across on flash drives! Could take some time!

In case you can't get the drive working, you should copy the files over the network or using an USB hard drive enclosure.

Flash is slow, not to mention that it has a limited number of write cycles and doing massive work with it will reduce the lifetime of the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back