Solved Iexplore.exe virus and possibly more, 8 step process done

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveuread

Hi. The iexplore.exe keeps starting up in my processes and when I end it, it just restarts. There's the constant clicking sound of internet explorer in the background when I'm not even running it. From time to time the volume would be set to 0 as well. I can tell it's like a virus because there's occasional internet explorer pop ups and sometimes invisible audio ads. I've tried so many things to solve the issue but to no avail. I was hoping that someone here would help me resolve the issue because I saw a thread with a similar issue and it was resolved.

Attachments

• mbam-log-2010-07-16 (21-14-25).txt
    924 bytes · Views: 1
  • gmer.log
    1.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Attach.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DDS.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 2
no reason. I just had my computer running in safe mode at that time and I had it run. Should I rerun it normally?

Yes, please repost DDS logs from normal mode.

When done...

Download MBRCheck to your desktop

Double click MBRCheck.exe to run (Vista and Windows 7 users, right click and select Run as Administrator).
It will show a black screen with some data on it.
A report called MBRcheckxxxx.txt will be on your desktop
Open this report and post its content in your next reply.

I have run the dds in normal mode.
And the following is from the MBRCheck:
MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

\\.\C: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

\\.\D: --> \\.\PhysicalDrive0

Size Device Name MBR Status

--------------------------------------------

149 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Known-bad MBR code detected (Whistler / Black Internet)!

Found non-standard or infected MBR.

Enter 'Y' and hit ENTER for more options, or 'N' to exit:

Options:

[1] Dump the MBR of a physical disk to file.

[2] Restore the MBR of a physical disk with a standard boot code.

[3] Exit.

Enter your choice:

Attachments

• Attach.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DDS.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 1
It's not clear to me...is Ahnlab V3 Internet Security, what you use as security program?

Then...

Rerun MBRCheck and select option "2".
When asked for physical disk number, enter "0" (zero).
Post resulting log and restart computer.

the V3 is the internet security. i'm not sure if it is any good but thats what I have on this computer.

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

149 GB \\.\PhysicalDrive0 Known-bad MBR code detected (Whistler / Black Internet)!

Options:

[3] Exit.

Enter your choice: Enter the physical disk number to fix (0-99, -1 to cancel): Available MBR codes:

[ 0] Default (Windows XP)

[ 1] Windows XP

[ 2] Windows Server 2003

[ 3] Windows Vista

[ 4] Windows 2008

[ 5] Windows 7

[-1] Cancel

Please select the MBR code to write to this drive:

Please, redo.
You have to select option 2, then enter 0 (zero) for disk number and again 0 (zero) for MBR code.

Yea. I figured I had to do that but didn't want to mess up anything.

MBRCheck, version 1.1.1

(c) 2010, AD

Options:

[3] Exit.

Enter your choice: Enter the physical disk number to fix (0-99, -1 to cancel): Available MBR codes:

[ 0] Default (Windows XP)

[ 1] Windows XP

[ 2] Windows Server 2003

[ 3] Windows Vista

[ 4] Windows 2008

[ 5] Windows 7

[-1] Cancel

Please select the MBR code to write to this drive:

Do you want to fix the MBR code? Type 'YES' and hit ENTER to continue: Successfully wrote new MBR code!

Please reboot your computer to complete the fix.

Done! Press ENTER to exit...

Also on a side note, I have disconnected the infected computer from the internet and am using a netbook and flash drive for this. I noticed that if I restarted my infected computer with disabled internet the iexplore.exe would not start up but later found out that it would start up again if I enabled and ran some applications that needed the internet.

but didn't want to mess up anything.
Very smart :)

The log looks good.
Turn the computer off, reconnect it to the internet and restart.
Check for the issues.

I'll be getting ready for bed, so I'll check on you tomorrow morning.
If issues are resolved, don't leave this topic.
We'll have to do more checking...:)

so far so good. the iexplore.exe is not starting up by itself. I don't hear any clicking noises and my volume remains unchanged.

Nice :)

Please download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

**Note: In the event you already have Combofix, this is a new version that I need you to download. It is important that it is saved directly to your desktop**
  1. Please, never rename Combofix unless instructed.
  2. Close any open browsers.
  3. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
    • Very Important! Temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan. They can interfere with ComboFix or remove some of its embedded files which may cause "unpredictable results".
    • Click on this link to see a list of programs that should be disabled. The list is not all inclusive. If yours is not listed and you don't know how to disable it, please ask.
    NOTE1. If Combofix asks you to install Recovery Console, please allow it.
    NOTE 2. If Combofix asks you to update the program, always do so.
    • Close any open browsers.
    • WARNING: Combofix will disconnect your machine from the Internet as soon as it starts
    • Please do not attempt to re-connect your machine back to the Internet until Combofix has completely finished.
    • If there is no internet connection after running Combofix, then restart your computer to restore back your connection.
  4. Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.
  5. When finished, it will produce a report for you.
  6. Please post the "C:\ComboFix.txt"
**Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while it's running. That may cause it to stall**

Make sure, you re-enable your security programs, when you're done with Combofix.

DO NOT make any other changes to your computer (like installing programs, using other cleaning tools, etc.), until it's officially declared clean!!!

I strongly recommend, you uninstall Uniblue RegistryBooster. Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/registry-cleaners-and-system-tweaking_13.html

Combofix log looks clean :)

Uninstall Combofix:
Go Start > Run [Vista users, go Start>"Start search"]
Type in:
Combofix /Uninstall
Note the space between the "Combofix" and the "/Uninstall"
Click OK (Vista users - press Enter).
Restart computer.

=======================================================================

Download OTL to your Desktop.

* Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
* Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:

netsvcs
drivers32 /all
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
%systemroot%\system32\Spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\*.wt
%systemroot%\system32\*.ruy
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.com
%systemroot%\Fonts\*.dll
%systemroot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\*.tmp
%systemroot%\*. /mp /s
/md5start
/md5stop
CREATERESTOREPOINT
%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
%systemroot%\system32\user32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2_32.dll /md5
%systemroot%\system32\ws2help.dll /md5
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update\Results\Install|LastSuccessTime /rs

* Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.txt and Extras.txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time, and post them back here.

Update your Java version here: http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
During installation, make sure to UN-check any pre-checked extra "garbage" installation, like Yahoo toolbar, or others.
Uninstall all previous Java versions, through Add\Remove (Programs & Features in Vista/7).

=================================================================

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

Code:
    :OTL
    DRV - File not found [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\DOCUME~1\dell\LOCALS~1\Temp\catchme.sys -- (catchme)
    O6 - HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions present
    O7 - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer: NoLowDiskSpaceChecks = 1
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab (Reg Error: Key error.)
    [2010/07/16 02:11:11 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Application Data\Uniblue
    [2010/06/26 09:43:38 | 000,000,000 | ---D | C] -- C:\Documents and Settings\dell\Local Settings\Application Data\fjaqvdrxt
    @Alternate Data Stream - 102 bytes -> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TEMP:CB0AACC9

:Services

:Reg

:Files

:Commands
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [emptyflash]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • You will get a log that shows the results of the fix. Please post it.
  • Open OTL again and click the Quick Scan button. Post the log it produces in your next reply.

Good :)

1. Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

2. Go to Kaspersky website and perform an online antivirus scan.

1. Disable your active antivirus program.
2. Read through the requirements and privacy statement and click on Accept button.
3. It will start downloading and installing the scanner and virus definitions. You will be prompted to install an application from Kaspersky. Click Run.
4. When the downloads have finished, click on Settings.
5. Make sure these boxes are checked (ticked). If they are not, please tick them and click on the Save button:

• Spyware, Adware, Dialers, and other potentially dangerous programs
    [*] Archives
    [*] Mail databases
6. Click on My Computer under Scan.
7. Once the scan is complete, it will display the results. Click on View Scan Report.
8. You will see a list of infected items there. Click on Save Report As....
9. Save this report to a convenient place. Change the Files of type to Text file (.txt) before clicking on the Save button. Then post it here.

kaspersky. i updated the scanner and then i made it scan my computer. it was taking a long time and around 17% of completion my computer froze

Please run a free online scan with the ESET Online Scanner

• Disable your antivirus program
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use
  • IMOPRTANT! UN-check Remove found threats
  • Click Start
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Check Scan archives
  • Click Start
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push List of found threats
  • Push Export to text file , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

it seems that the scanner gets stuck at a certain point. like first it was a random word file that I had in My Documents. I got rid of that file and started the scan again. Then it got stuck on the plugin-container.exe file as it was scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back