If I format my Sandisk Cruzer 16GB will I lose all of the information on it?

I am running windows 7 on a laptop at work. I would like to use my cruzer micro 16GB but when I put it in it wants me to format. I have information on it that I want kept. My question is will it be wiped out if I format? What can I do? I originally formatted it on a windows vista laptop a couple of years ago.

It sounds like something is wrong with your USB drive. To answer your first question: YES, if you format your drive everything will be wiped out.
I found a similar post, https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic161141.html, it's about an external usb hard drive, but I guess the answer applies to your problem too.

It wouldn't happen to be an encrypted drive, would it? Sometimes those show up as drives needing formatting unless loaded in the decrypting tool.

Have you also tried plugging it into a different computer to see if same problem?

If same problem on different machines, is also possible the filesystem is corrupt. (can happen if you ever remove a flash drive without using the Safely Remove Hardware icon to first stop the drive)

Try the EASUS recovery tool (never used it. In fact just noticed it! but i like all the other EASUS tools. they make great stuff :) ). see if it might recover the partition/files

Back