Ignore the Pixel 2 XL. Buy the Pixel 2 Instead

I came to the same conclusion as this review and am quite happy with my non-XL Pixel 2, which replaced my aging Nexus 6. I don't buy new phones every year, so I count on Google's three-year device support, and say "shame on" makers who abandon their phones after you buy them or a year after you buy them. No issues with the phone so far. One of the tear-down sites says it failed their "bend" test, but the next day the iPhone X was revealed as "the most fragile", so I guess every phone will break if you apply enough force in the right vector. I keep mine in a Moko belt-clip case, which provides some drop protection, some bend protection and some bump protection. And, like I said, quite happy with the phone, a couple of weeks on.

Still too expensive given that it doesnt have a headphone jack and has a sealed battery. For that [price, you can get an iphone with in store support and 5 years of updates VS 2-3.

It seems like Google is copying Apple in everything they do, from features to prices. And that's just not very compelling to me. Add in that there is no longer a headphone jack or removable flash memory and I think I'll just stick with samsung or sony.

Very happy with my Pixel 2. The lack of a headphone was a bit annoying at first, but they do include an adapter. I bought some $30 JVC bluetooth earbuds, and when using my phone to listen to music, I actually prefer this over the corded earbuds I mostly used before. It's really not that big a deal. It has 64 GB of internal storage, which is more than enough for me. Plus if you are really filling up your phone with pictures and videos, you should have it backed up to Google Drive anyway, so you can delete things on the phone once they are backed up to free up space. Google even has an offer that if you upload pictures from a Pixel at their original quality, the space the picture takes up does not count against your free 15 GB storage limit on Google Drive.

Last edited:
Was disappointed with the flaws in the screen with the XL. The 2 is just too small for me after using the larger "phablet" phones (I have large hands so reach ergonomics isn't an issue). Will wait until next year for the Pixel 3 XL if they follow the naming convention.

Back