Ikea's smart window blinds land in the US on April 1

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Motorized window coverings are prohibitively expensive. Ikea's upcoming smart shades aren't exactly cheap but they're more affordable than you'll likely find elsewhere. Plus, they work with mobile devices and personal assistants, slotting right into your existing smart home ecosystem.

The next phase of Ikea’s home automation strategy lands in US stores on April 1. Fyrtur is a smart window blind constructed of blackout fabric material. The wireless, battery-powered blinds can be operated using the included remote control or paired to Ikea’s smart home Wi-Fi hub and controlled using a smartphone.

The blinds feature a removable battery that can be recharged using the included USB power brick. Ikea says the blinds can be operated independently or in tandem if you have multiple units in one room or throughout your home.

Expected battery life and recharge times have not yet been provided. The roller blind is cordless for increased child safety.

Automatic blinds aren’t a new advancement in home décor. If you’ve ever looked into them, however, you already know that they are incredibly expensive. US pricing for Ikea’s smart blinds hasn’t been revealed although a listing on its German website shows a starting price of 119 euros, or around $137. That’s not exactly cheap for window blinds but again, if you’ve ever shopped for motorized blinds, you know how expensive they can be.

Ikea also has a non-blackout version called Kadrilj but those aren’t coming to the US.

Permalink to story.

Since they are calling these things "smart", I guess blinds automatically close when it senses Peeping Toms looking through them?

Blinds all around the world flip out (no pun intended) due to a software bug and or servers/homes get hacked...

I can see this as a benefit if they open during sunny winter days and close at night (heat management) and vice versa for summer. You certainly don't need network access for this. A basic light sensor is plenty (such as on most vehicles for headlights).

-1 on contributing to make the world fatter.

Smart, yeah right. I am sure this is just because they can be controlled by some device. That does not make them smart, IMO.

Now if they were temperature sensing and the owner could program them to admit light based on the temperature in the environment, then yeah, they would be smart, IMO.

Just another dead company trying to revive its sales by glomming onto a dying fad. They should have stuck with chia pets, IMO.

The names they give their products, are they in Swedish, or do they just use it as a starting point for the gibberish?

Did none of you notice the date?
When your head is in the technical clouds, so to speak, some find it difficult at times to reconnect with day to date realities.

OTOH, Ikea could be introducing this as an actual product on that date, as a behavioral experiment, as it were.

Another good news for me. you are right shawn, those motorized curtains or blinds cost a fortune! I know philips have those "light alarm clock" but nothing beats good ol sunlight shining to your bed every morning.

the largest version 140x195cm or 55x76 inch costs 160EUR is still way cheaper than what I've seen around.

Back