1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Ikea's smart window blinds land in the US on April 1

By Shawn Knight · 11 replies
Jan 10, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. The next phase of Ikea’s home automation strategy lands in US stores on April 1. Fyrtur is a smart window blind constructed of blackout fabric material. The wireless, battery-powered blinds can be operated using the included remote control or paired to Ikea’s smart home Wi-Fi hub and controlled using a smartphone.

The blinds feature a removable battery that can be recharged using the included USB power brick. Ikea says the blinds can be operated independently or in tandem if you have multiple units in one room or throughout your home.

Expected battery life and recharge times have not yet been provided. The roller blind is cordless for increased child safety.

Automatic blinds aren’t a new advancement in home décor. If you’ve ever looked into them, however, you already know that they are incredibly expensive. US pricing for Ikea’s smart blinds hasn’t been revealed although a listing on its German website shows a starting price of 119 euros, or around $137. That’s not exactly cheap for window blinds but again, if you’ve ever shopped for motorized blinds, you know how expensive they can be.

Ikea also has a non-blackout version called Kadrilj but those aren’t coming to the US.

Permalink to story.

2. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 5,684   +4,028

Geeeezzzzzeeeeee ...... too lazy to pull the blinds up and lower them .........

3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 3,050   +1,384

Proprietary software and/or hubs makes IoT devices instantly less appealing.

4. ZackL04

ZackL04 TS Guru Posts: 562   +278

Imagine a large house with 10 blinds through the kitchen/dinette and living room.

5. ShagnWagn

ShagnWagn TS Guru Posts: 839   +645

Since they are calling these things "smart", I guess blinds automatically close when it senses Peeping Toms looking through them?

Blinds all around the world flip out (no pun intended) due to a software bug and or servers/homes get hacked...

I can see this as a benefit if they open during sunny winter days and close at night (heat management) and vice versa for summer. You certainly don't need network access for this. A basic light sensor is plenty (such as on most vehicles for headlights).

-1 on contributing to make the world fatter.

6. wiyosaya

wiyosaya TS Evangelist Posts: 4,193   +2,476

Smart, yeah right. I am sure this is just because they can be controlled by some device. That does not make them smart, IMO.

Now if they were temperature sensing and the owner could program them to admit light based on the temperature in the environment, then yeah, they would be smart, IMO.

Just another dead company trying to revive its sales by glomming onto a dying fad. They should have stuck with chia pets, IMO.

Robinson Ochoa likes this.
  7. Godel

Godel TS Addict Posts: 186   +97

BTW for anyone tempted to translate the German text on the Ikea website, may I recommend a new translator called Deep L. It leaves Google's efforts for dead.

https://www.deepl.com/translator

CrazyDave likes this.
  8. Axiarus

Axiarus TS Evangelist Posts: 474   +273

No

9. Milkyjoe

Milkyjoe TS Enthusiast Posts: 38   +17

Did none of you notice the date?

10. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,168   +4,119

The names they give their products, are they in Swedish, or do they just use it as a starting point for the gibberish?

11. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 15,168   +4,119

When your head is in the technical clouds, so to speak, some find it difficult at times to reconnect with day to date realities.

OTOH, Ikea could be introducing this as an actual product on that date, as a behavioral experiment, as it were.

12. nismo91

nismo91 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,007   +73

Another good news for me. you are right shawn, those motorized curtains or blinds cost a fortune! I know philips have those "light alarm clock" but nothing beats good ol sunlight shining to your bed every morning.

the largest version 140x195cm or 55x76 inch costs 160EUR is still way cheaper than what I've seen around.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...