I'm buying a new video card not sure what one is compatible

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharrra

Ok so i need a new video card my motherboard is a PEGATRON CORPORATION NARRA5 5.00 it has a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 in it right now but i wanting to upgrade it to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 (if thats even better at all)

Im trying to play bfbc2 but it so slow that the graphics dont keep up i can throw c4 (take 10 secs for the c4 to show up) and then blow it and it takes forever for anything to happen even single player is slow and my pc has 4gb ram

heres my current video car specs in case ya want to see

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_03D0&SUBSYS_2A6C103C&REV_A2
Display Memory: 1848 MB
Dedicated Memory: 120 MB
Shared Memory: 1727 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 2009
Monitor Id: HWP2827
Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HD15
Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2umx.dll, nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.15.0011.8593 (English)
Driver Version: 8.15.11.8593
DDI Version: 9Ex
Driver Model: WDDM 1.0
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 7/13/2009 18:41:53, 9443840 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4090-11CF-1D52-670A02C2C535}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x03D0
SubSys ID: 0x2A6C103C
Revision ID: 0x00A2
Driver Strong Name: nv_lh.inf:NVIDIA.Mfg.NTamd64...1:nv_NV3x:8.15.11.8593:pci\ven_10de&dev_03d0
Rank Of Driver: 00F42001
Video Accel:

Also if you can give me suggustions on any cards that would work that would be greatly appreciated

That should work, but with Pegatron, you never know, and they are not willing to tell you on their website.

Do you have the motherboard memory maxed out, a decent hard drive, and all other features up to snuff? You shouldn't be having major problems with that video card, and it may be that you will not be able to get better performance, based on that system board.

I see you apparently have already searched a number of other sites... so info is scarce.

Apparently my video card is built in so i cant replace it buy i can get a pci x card im looking for one now

Thank you for the update. You can use a PCI-e card, but you will have to disable the onboard drivers. Be sure you have checked your memory and hard drive for performance and speed before you invest in a new card.
The Pegatron folks are not helpful, and their reputation is marginal. Support is pretty much non-existent.

I would prefer to spend the money on a replacement motherboard that to take a risk at making that one work properly.

In what country do you live?

No motherboard comes with an onboard graphics chipset that can play the latest games. It would be advisable to purchase a separate PCI-E card to meet your gaming requirements.

If your Pegatron motherboard has a PCI-E slot then you may continue using it. Else purchase a decent inexpensive motherboard having a PCI-E 2.0 (x16) slot that supports your CPU.

Also, give us a budget for your video card. You may need to replace your PSU depending on the GPU you purchase.

Im not sure il have to get back to you guys on that money is kinda scarce aroun here right now

If this is your board then you likely have a prebuilt OEM HP Pavillion/Compaq Presario. It's not exactly friendly for upgrading. Most reasonable graphics cards capable of good game IQ at 1440x900 resolution are going to compromise your SATA connectivity, due to card length and the fact that most cards are double slot in nature, and if the chassis is a slimline version then an upgrade is going to present a whole raft of problems due to internal space restrictions. Bear in mind that an upgrade to a discrete (seperate) graphics card will also necessitate upgrading the power supply in all likelyhood, as well as the possibility of having to buy another operating system license if your present one is OEM - if this is the case then the OS will be tied to the existing hardware fit- possibly the CPU (although not necessarily), but almost certainly the motherboard model.
Depending on what kind of upgrade you are thinking about, I think the best bang-for-your-buck upgrade would be to simply go with either a lower specification card or one that is shorter (smaller heatsink) that has adequate cooling ability while being short enough not to interfere with your SATA connections. Something along the lines of this PowerColor HD 5770 1Gb for $130 offers excellent performance at/near GTX 260 levels and is only a shade over 7.2 inches in length, or thisHD 5750 1Gb (7.25 inches in length) as a cheaper option.
Either of these cards (or those of a similar nature) will possibly/likely require a modest power supply upgrade. If you can post your system model as well as PSU specification and approximate age the forum members will be able to advise you to a better degree.
If you plan on a full upgrade- motherboard, card, PSU, chassis etc. then your best bet would be start up another thread detailing the components you wish to re-use, your budget and the level of performance you hope to achieve.

EDIT: You beat me to the punch Rit !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back