Impermanent Screen Resolution

Sebastian42

Acer Aspire 2000 (Cl32) runs WinXP/Pro/Sp3 and can be set to display in its native resolution of 1280 x 800 from its ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 video card. However, when it reboots, it reverts to 640 x 480, and often blames an absent or corrupt video driver. My remedy is to UNinstall the video driver from Device Manager and reboot, but I'd like to have native resolution without going through this 'readjustment' at every reboot. On the rare occasions that I can access the ATI Control Panel, Schemes in the Display tab, is empty. If I select 'Default Single Display' from the offered options, the SAVE button is greyed out. Any suggestions as to how I can get the native resolution to 'stick' ?

Uninstall driver via the 'Add/Remove Programs'. Run Ccleaner and clean the temp files plus registry. Download a fresh copy of the latest drivers, install.

Uninstall driver via the 'Add/Remove Programs'. Run Ccleaner and clean the temp files plus registry. Download a fresh copy of the latest drivers, install.
Ever since I used the ATI software's own uninstall program, the problem has gone away, IN SPITE OF the fact that in Device Manager the Video Controller is shown with a '?'

If it seems to be working for you, I think I could live with the yellow question mark. That is if it doesn't seem to work any other way.

When you tried to uninstall the video driver through the Device Manager, you weren't really getting rid of it. You were essentially "disconnecting" it and, whenever you rebooted, Windows loaded it again and "reconnected" it. It was when you uninstalled it through Add or Remove Programs that it was actually uninstalled.

That said, you are now using the Windows generic video driver and as such you will have limited performance and the Device Manager will show that you have a missing driver with the yellow question mark.

Your graphics solution (Mobility Radeon 9200) is obsolete and no longer actively supported by ATI/AMD. However, you can download and install the last graphics driver that did support the mobility 9200 which will be a few years old. Go to the Acer website and locate it from this page: http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers.

Back