Build a PC Important parts for improving workflow in video editing?

boagz57

Hello all, I wanted to get some opinions one what parts are most important to upgrade for improved workflow and video preview for video editing applications like sony vegas. Basically I edit bluray video for amv's (animated music video's) and my preview window and basic workflow speed can be choppy and not quite as smooth as I want it to be. Does CPU have biggest effect with this kind of stuff (and if it does, would you suggest a hexa core CPU or would something like an i7 4770k quad core CPU be enough for editing bluray footage)? or is computer RAM important? I also heard that Doing something with your hard drive can have a greater effect in improving these things. Any thoughts appreciated! Also, assume money isn't a factor, just want what performs better.

Jad Chaar

RAM + a fast CPU are large parts of a video editing build. RAM and a good CPU help speed up the rendering process, but they dont necessarily affect the video render quality. I think the GPU is the issue.

What are you current specifications? What is your price range for the new machine?

boagz57

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've actually discussed some thing with you on other threads. I'm trying to actually build a new PC and this is one of the main reasons why I keep going back and forth between CPU's. I know intel 6 core processors won't be of much use for gaming but I have heard from a couple people that they will really help in the video editing department. So I guess I just wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in the smoothness of working with sony vegas with say a 3930k hexa core processor as compared to something like the haswell 4770k. Don't know how much impact those extra threads will have.