Important parts for improving workflow in video editing?

boagz57

Hello all, I wanted to get some opinions one what parts are most important to upgrade for improved workflow and video preview for video editing applications like sony vegas. Basically I edit bluray video for amv's (animated music video's) and my preview window and basic workflow speed can be choppy and not quite as smooth as I want it to be. Does CPU have biggest effect with this kind of stuff (and if it does, would you suggest a hexa core CPU or would something like an i7 4770k quad core CPU be enough for editing bluray footage)? or is computer RAM important? I also heard that Doing something with your hard drive can have a greater effect in improving these things. Any thoughts appreciated! Also, assume money isn't a factor, just want what performs better.

RAM + a fast CPU are large parts of a video editing build. RAM and a good CPU help speed up the rendering process, but they dont necessarily affect the video render quality. I think the GPU is the issue.

What are you current specifications? What is your price range for the new machine?

I've actually discussed some thing with you on other threads. I'm trying to actually build a new PC and this is one of the main reasons why I keep going back and forth between CPU's. I know intel 6 core processors won't be of much use for gaming but I have heard from a couple people that they will really help in the video editing department. So I guess I just wonder if there will be a noticeable difference in the smoothness of working with sony vegas with say a 3930k hexa core processor as compared to something like the haswell 4770k. Don't know how much impact those extra threads will have.

Back