Incorrect CPU frequency information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alster37

Im having a strange problem when im overclocking,
the cpu freq changes to random values, so does the multiplier.
It has done this with both the fox one OC utilily and the easy tune 6 OC utility
im using currently. I know they arent the true values because my PC wouldnt run at (1000mhz) for example. I dont press anything it just does it, this makes OCing
more difficult because it wont tell me the true CPU freq values.

Can anyone help me on this one?

I always found software overclocking to be pretty finicky.... any reason why you're using software to overclock?

its just because thats how i started to overclock, I would use the bios but I cant run stress tests along side it to keep the temperatures under 70.

Hi Alster,
do you have a power saving scheme in place? if so the CPU is throttling up and down according to demand. change your power scheme to performance and see if it doesn't stop.

Start-control panel-power options

set it for performance, and then check your CPU frequency at idle.

BIOS overclocking might take a little longer because of all the restarting to get in and out of BIOS, but I'd suggest once you have an idea how high you can overclock you should go into BIOS to finetune....

@red1776

I don t use a powersaving scheme because after all I dont pay the bills, although after watching it carefully it tells me the correct bus speed (200mhz) but it thinks the multiplier is 5 when its actually 13.5.

any thoughts?

@CMH

I got it up to 3.2ghz before I got the blue screen, but I think the memory held it back because it only ran at 667mhz, now I have 800mhz. My main concern is temps because it hits 65 at factory clock, even with my coolermaster scout case.

You probably have AMD Cool N' Quiet enabled, which is a power saving feature in the BIOS. You can not disable it through windows, but is is very easy to disable it in the BIOS.

Although a good case might reduce temps a little, a good heatsink + fan combo will be much much more beneficial. when it comes to temps.

Although you might be able to push that processor just a little more with upgraded cooling system, I think that processor is quite outdated already, and wouldn't be worth your while pushing as far as it'll go.

Although you might be able to push that processor just a little more with upgraded cooling system, I think that processor is quite outdated already, and wouldn't be worth your while pushing as far as it'll go.
Yeah, sounds like you have an E4700 or something.

That's a power saving feature, just go under the assumption that the multiplier is going to be 13.5 whenever you are using it.

According to his given system specs, it says he's using an Athlon X5200 (2.7ghz), which would be much older than an E4700.

Disabling AMD cool n quiet fixed the problem.
although I would like to ask:

IS my cpu bottlenecking my graphics card?

could you suggest a quad core that would be easily overclockable and fairly cheap? (Has to be an AMD can be socket 2, 2+ or 3)

Alster37 said:
IS my cpu bottlenecking my graphics card?

Most of the time, the graphics card would be the bottleneck, however in this case I'd say its hard to tell.

As far as suggesting a quad core, the best overclockers tend to be the cheapest one you can get your hands on. Just pick the cheapest AM3 quad core you can get your hands on, and overclock that. If you can wait till later, I'll take a quick peek at AMD's offering and suggest a reasonable buy.

ive been looking at the
x4 620 2.6ghz £72
x4 630 2.8ghz £84
x4 635 2.9ghz £95

the price doesnt matter, I would just like the best OCing cpu. Something that will stay cool even after a mild overclock. as it will be another wait after I have bought the cpu for a decent cooler.

cooler master v8 I had in mind?

Hey Alster,
any of those will work, if this is a gaming machine, look at the x3 720. Its a better over clocker and has L3 Cache (6mb), and and an unlocked muliplier. the x4 6xx does not have any L3, and a locked multi. The x3 720 out performs the x4 6xx for gaming. You should only count on 3.5Ghz with the x4 6xx. you may be able to get another 100-150Ghz out of it, but most are topping out there before becoming unstable. I would suggest this HS/F over the V-8, its half the price and performs better.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003

sadly the x3 720 is quite expensive in the uk (£135), I was hoping that the cooler you suggested could get a x4 630 (£83) to 3.5ghz or more like some people have claimed they have achieved.

The main objective for me is to remove the possible bottleneck my cpu is causing.
with the money I save I was thinking of putting it towards a ati 5850.

any thoughts?

My dad has agreed to pay half of my processor cost so i think i will settle on a phenom 955.coolers however have been tricky ive looked at 2 more:

noctua nh d14
and
titan amada cooler
any thoughts ?

having a look at them all, the ( Zalman CNPS10X CPU Cooler ) is the one i think im going to get with the phenom 955.

would 4ghz be possible with the the cheap ram i have?
oh and would it fit my motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back