Increase resolution in VGA mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLB31384

My laptop screen has broken and I was just going to hook it to a monitor and pretty much turn it into a desktop...but when I goto VGA mode the resolution is always 640x480 and if I try to increase it the laptop switches to the broke screen. Is there anyway to stop it from switching and just using the monitor its hooked to? I know the monitor can display higher then that as it can with my desktop, I tried a newer monitor as well and it does the same thing. I am entered VGA mode through the start up screen. If I completely remove the screen and unhook it, it still tries to switch to it and switches off the monitor, none of the function keys will let me go back either

It won't let me goto a normal mode as it wants to display on the laptops screen that is broke unless I goto vga mode, only then will it display on the desktop monitor, not sure if theres another way to get it to display or not

Usually there's a Function key to change to the external Monitor (some of the function keys even have helpful pictures on them)
Download your owners manual, and find out which key sequence changes to your externally connected monitor

ill go find the owners manual, but im pretty sure its either fn + f4 or f5, f4 has a picture of a black box next to a white box..and I cant get it to do anything by hitting it, f5 looks similar but it looks like theres a sun inside the white box, and when i hit it, it turns the broke laptop screen black but doesnt do anything else less I hit it again and then it just brings the laptop screen back on. All the other fn keys seem to work fine, im going to try it on another monitor, and maybe even put vista back on it, cuz I had put xp on it before it broke.

its fn + f5, which is display toggle, but it won't work, anyone have any idea why? I push it but nothing happens, I went into vga mode and pushed it nothing happens there either, Will probably try restoring computer back to vista and see if it works there if I cant get it to go soon.

Sorry, just press to hold the Function key and then press F5 again
Sometimes you need to do it twice in a row (the external Monitor light should go green)

Ive tried hitting it a bunch, doesn't seem to do anything...Could their be something wrong with the wiring? I took the laptop apart the other day and put it back together, could have left something unplugged maybe? I uninstalled the graphics driver, and reinstalled it..im not sure, im thinking the recovery might help it...but im not sure

The function keys are build into the laptop, I think in the Bios settings - actually I should check that out one day ;)
Anyway, try connecting a USB keyboard and see if that works
I must be missing something simple here, its one of those things when you get it you say, oh yer of course :D

I have about 10 (different) external keyboards here (on the shelf) they all have "Fn" keys
You may need to update your external keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back