Infamous Red Ring of Death, getting it fixed free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameJunkie72792

Whats up guys this is my first post in the Gaming and consoles section, for something console related...

Im sure this will be an easy question to answer... My cousin has had this 360, for a little over a year now. He kept it laying on it's side in an entertainment center ventilated not so well...

well now the video board fried, or at least i assume thats the culprit for the RROD.

my buddy who has gone through 3 consoles himself because of the same problem, well he preordered his console and got one of the first ones, but thats another story... well anyway he said contact microsoft and they will send me a box to ship back and get fixed for free... i thought cool thats easy...

well is it true? will they? and if so can someone provide me with the info. i wouldappreciate it greatly!

who knows my cousin might not want to bother and give it to me, like his first xbox that fried xDD

oh and another thing lastly, i was looking around after removing the faceplate and noticed that it looked like the microsoft tag had been tampered with... could this affect it getting fixed at all??

thanks guys, if its not modding them im clueless with consoles lol

I have experienced the RROD numerous times on my 360 if it's in a hot room or it's a hot day. Spoil the annoying thing by putting it next to the A/C or a desk fan facing away from it on the back to pull the hot air away from the back of the console. I would not recommend one of those "Intercooler" things as they like to fry the circuitry. Contact microsoft about it, tell them in great detail. I don't really know how that little sticker on the front will affect anything. (Is it for showing if the case has been opened? If it has then...Void...:()

I fixed my X360's cooling with a custom case I made for it. It wasn't free but it's worth it compared to having a RROD and having to send it to M$hit and waiting a few weeks to have it sent back to me with a cleared HDD.

Although i don't have an Xbox 360 there notorious for HDD failures my brothers failed 3 times he's only had since it came out which i think is about 1 and a half years ago. They do repair it for free but i read a article about a week ago going on about the Xbox 360 and how Microsoft knew about these Hardware failures but didn't address them so now there forking out Billions of Dollars to repair these Xbox's.

The HDD, Cooling system and Graphics Card in them are the main problem.

:evil: Microsoft:evil: they think they save costs on not testing the Windows OS and Xbox fully and let us do it for them and then they bring the updates in when people have been sending tons of error reports in on their Windows systems. Then they let people lose data on there Xbox when they know the HDD is going to break. Very bad

I'd say it is just going to get worse though, because everyone wants games now, good or bad. They ship these games/software out with all of these errors, then try to figure out why everyone is still complaining. By the time they realise what they did, your right, they are forking out a ton of cash to fix it.

Well speaking of the hard drive,i took it off and put it back on to reseat it for kicks, the plugged the console in and voila RROD...

but before the ring, it would be on for a few seconds then it would freeze with little boxes all over the tv screen and make the loudest most annoying noise you could ever want to hear.

it seems the console ran hotter after setting it up for 1080p wich kinda would make sense to me.

so i might be able to recover it by cooling it off?? that would be pretty sweet if not ill just box it up and ship it back to M$

Thats a possiblility. Try (if cooling helps) keeping the resolution down, and see what happens whenver you do turn it up.

alright, ill see if i can take it from 1080p to 720p, i prefer 720p over 1080i personally.

ill psot back after trying it, im gonna see if he'll let me bring it to my house to look at.

well heres the update, i brought it home and set it up with the AV at 480i.

powered on and rrod, i set it ontop of a fan using the fan as a table and turned it on and let it run with the rrod for about 20mins, powered off than back on with the fan off and it came up i played tiger woods pga tour 2007 for a few hours just to see if it would last i went about two hours and didnt seem too hot, then i bumped the console and then the screen went to blocks and made that noise.

turned it back on and the rrod, so im repeating the steps that made it work the first time.

Well I'd forget all about that stuff if I were you.

My recommendation after having gone through three of these consoles myself is this.

as long as you have the contact information from the first gamertag to register the console, and you haven't attempted to remove any parts/ open the unit, and the unit is still within it's three year warranty. you can simply call Microsoft. talk to a support person, they will ask you for the info to verify you are the owner and they will send you a prepaid box for you to ship the xbox to them and they will repair or replace the XBOX for you. they'll ship it back and it'll be working and you'll get a complimentary 1 month subscription to XBOX live:)

Just save yourself the trouble. have them take care of it. and it'll take around a month, but I'm sure you'll find something to do in the meantime.

Oh the number you want to be calling is 1-800-4MY-XBOX
"1-800-469-9269"

It shouldn't take a month to have the Xbox repaired, When my brother has had his repaired (3 Times) they said 5-10 working days. The last repair only took a week.
Although when it was sent back last time i think it was sent back from Birmingham which is about 1 and a half hours driving time from where i am.

(First off, I always believe in estimating to the longest time possible, rather than to keep wishing and probably be disappointed by hoping for a super quick repair.)

Well on average, they usually take longer when they they actually have to do some work to fix the damn thing...or maybe they're too busy sobbing for the huge sums of cash they put out because they couldn't release top quality the first time.

but yeah due to delays, distance, and all other possible factors, I believe a month to be a fairly reasonable amount of time for an XBOX 360 repair.

As i remember you get repair slips on what they have fixed/replaced etc. Twice they replaced the HDD not a big job really and the last i think they replaced the Graphics card or Motherboard
Yeah now i think about and looking at the location of the original post your probably right about a month being that Florida is about the same size as Britain alone this takes about 17 hours from the most Northern Point (John O' Groats, Scotland) to the most Southern Point (Land's End, England).
Although this may being boring to some it just shows the size difference between the UK and USA.

alright, since its my cousins he will have to talk to them about it, thanks a bunch for the help guys!

i personally will never own a 360, only a PS3 but i have my reasons, other than stuff like this.

Ive heard rumors about the game Oblivion messing up the hard-drive as well. because the massive good graphics or somthing like that. as in the theres so much high detailed grass that it glitches your system or somthing like that. IDK if its true i heard it from my friend.

Never heard about that before with Oblivion, i have it for the PS3 and my brother for his Xbox 360 and he's never had a problem with it, so i doubt consoles have ever had that happen with games.
Also i'm glad i didn't update to that new patch for the PS3 (2.40 i think), would had have to cleared my HDD then.

I have never seen the PS3 version of the game, but the XBOX 360 version of the game does have moments in which the graphics "pop" or "glitch" It' isn't anything to do with the graphics, I believe it is do to the fact the game is one huge map, so that is a lot of polygons and textures to display on one screen, not to mention the physics and characters in the game are also a little off at times, I think it's just some bugs within the game, because I've seen these things in both the PC and 360 versions of Oblivion...

they should repair it for free as long as you didn't tamper with it and it is still under warrenty.

you better watch out for those "replacement 360's" they like to snap crackle pop and burn.
Me and my friend was in the middle of playing gears and it started to spark. he ripped the cable out of the wall and waited 2 days plugged it in and it worked fine, aside from the burn marks

My freind bought a used 360 and it got rrod 3 days after he took it home. He sent it in to microsoft and they sent him a brand new one for free. It took about a month for him to get it back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back