InFocus intros 55-inch "BigTouch" Windows 8 all-in-one for $4,999

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

We've seen plenty of all-in-one systems with touchscreens and Windows 8, including various tabletop and tablet-like models, but InFocus has announced what might be the largest offering to date. The Oregon-based display maker's new 55-inch "BigTouch" AIO PC scales the experience up to a size that's more suitable for larger crowds of people, be they in a classroom, an office lobby or a conference area.

The BigTouch's 1080p display can handle up to five points of finger input, enabling gestures such pinch to zoom and rotate along with the typical swipes and taps that make up touch navigation. Although we usually frown on bloatware, it sounds like InFocus preloads the BigTouch with some apps that would be useful for a big screen presentation setup. The company's Monopad software comes with support for video conferencing, digital annotation over documents, interactive whiteboard capabilities, a customizable interface as well as Microsoft Office 2010 Professional.

infocus launches windows touch

There doesn't seem to be anything particularly impressive under the hood, but there wouldn't have to be for a presentation rig either. Known specifications include a Sandy Bridge-based Intel Core i5 processor, a 120GB SSD, Wi-Fi connectivity, dual gigabit Ethernet, two HDMI ports and six USB ports. Units with Ivy Bridge chips are in the pipeline but InFocus hasn't provided a release date.

infocus launches windows touch

There's no word on RAM capacity or optional features such as a TV tuner, but InFocus says the system is built with ease of serviceability in mind, so you should be able to upgrade components as necessary. Plus, the machine's healthy array of USB ports should make it easy to expand functionality via dongles.

The BigTouch will roll out in the US first for $4,999 before it becomes available worldwide. We haven't seen any precise dates, but the company is talking as if units will start shipping sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

Now imagine having to reach the screen everytime you want to do something.

I'd better buy a couple before the price drops. I've always wanted to set something up like this in my house, especially in the john. Sure beats carrying in the newspaper.

Once simply useless just got bigger!

In the words of the underline technology - touch on this!

This is a shame. 120 gig at 5000. No way. Is this a 4000x2000 screen? don't see a point to this. This should be at 1000 at max. A tv needs huge amounts of storage to put all the movies downloaded from the pirated bay. Need to add 4 x 4 tb drives. In 55 inch tv there is plenty of room. Also if you attach a large radiator in the back it should make it run very cool for performance on games. No reason why they should not put dual i7 monster cpus in there. That is what I would expect for 5000. This is junk for that.

Or put otherwise, take a regular 55" 1080P TV (for about $700), throw in touch screen, add to it a $400 laptop, and alleluia it is suddenly worth 5 grand! This smells kind of funny,...or not...

Imagine this in 4K.

I bet this is what the manufacturer had in mind when setting 5 times the price on such a piece of junk - Imagine it is 4K, imagine it has 64GB of RAM and a dual 16-core CPU, imagine a 1TB SSD, then you will see the price being reasonable.

I bet this is what the manufacturer had in mind when setting 5 times the price on such a piece of junk - Imagine it is 4K, imagine it has 64GB of RAM and a dual 16-core CPU, imagine a 1TB SSD, then you will see the price being reasonable.
1) You dont need 64GB of RAM to run 4K. 2) A quad core i7 will do the job. 3) It isnt a matter of storage, that is what the cloud is for.
I think what we need before 4K is 1TB/s internet to stream content. They have until 2014/2015, I forgot the date. That is when Netflix begins 4K streaming.

Ugh, these things are so expensive. The touch-screen technology is still pretty mediocre. I wanna make a coffee table PC, but the prices are pretty limiting.

"up to a size that's more suitable for larger crowds of people, be they in a classroom, an office lobby or a conference area. The BigTouch's 1080p display can handle up to five points of finger input"
designed for larger crowds of people, but can only handle up to five points of finger input? Even 10inch android tablet can handle up to ten points.. then just like other member said before, imagine having to reach the screen everytime you want to do something..

By the way, Samsung along with Microsoft made Surface 2.0 that's running on a 50-55 inch screen, best-in-class touch capabilities, >10-point touch, etc. The chassis is also pretty damn amazing.

Back