Input/output error when burning DVDs

Hello everyone

I'm having a problem with my DVD burner... actually I've had it for almost two years now, but I only decided that enough is enough with this thing and I want to find a solution for it.

The long and short of it is this. Whenever I try to burn something on my DVD, it fails at the end and gives me an 'input/output' error and ejects the DVD. I have no idea why this happens. I should note that my DVD drive is fine otherwise, it can play DVDs and CDs without any problem. If anyone needs any additional information, I even saved the log-file that the my DVD burning software saved after it was finished.

Can anyone lend a hand? Thanks in advance.

What software are you using? Try CDBurnerXP, it's free.
Also, try a different manufacturers DVD's.
And you could look for a firmware update for the drive.

Sorry about the delay. I meant to reply right away, but I got sidetracked. >.>

What software are you using? Try CDBurnerXP, it's free.
Also, try a different manufacturers DVD's.
And you could look for a firmware update for the drive.

I've tried multiple softwares, from Windows Explorer (Most recent) to nero, to various free software, they all had similar results. I should mentioned that I burned a ton of DVDs before the problem set in. I even tried originally to use Windows explorer to format my DVD to work as a flash disk, but it didn't work at all.

I did not try a different brand of DVDs yet, since at that time I still had plenty of DVDs left over, now with my attempts to fix the problem... I think it wouldn't hurt to buy a few of various brands see what results I might get. It might work.

Rather than burn at the default speed, you can also try to burn at a lower speed.

You know what, I never thought of that. I'll give it a go now and see what happens.

Yep, I agree with above posters.

Memorex disks are crap. I've never seen an official report saying this, but I've always had the most failures with Memorex disks. Unfortunately, they also seem to be the only manufacturer that sells DL disks at Walmart and Staples; meaning, I have to order DL disks if I want to use some other brand.

Lower the burn speed does seem to increase reliability. Although if things are working right you should be able to burn at max speed and have no problems, otherwise why make disks that claim 16x or 20x? So while this may help you get through your batch of bad disks, I think bad disks are the ones to take the blame here.

I'm currently using TDK's DVD+R DL discs. Haven't had any problems. In the past, I've used DVD+RW by Fuji and Imation (3M) and Sony's DVD+R.

The only time I changed the burn speed was when I made linux bootable CD for my 10+ yr old Toshiba laptop. The drive wouldn't read the CD if it was burned at normal speed. But that was probably a hardware issue. I just thought I'd throw that idea out since it hasn't been tried.

I'm currently using ... Sony's DVD+R.

I started using Sony disks many years ago (probably because Staples puts them on big sales occasionally) and I've stayed with them. For one, they look good, so you can write on them with a Sharpie and it looks fine, it doesn't have a broken up designer or poor design (HP) face. And secondly, I have very few failures, as in probably 0.5% or less. I burn a lot of disks so I go through 50 disk spindles often and its really rare that I have a failed burn.

Although I don't necessarily buy the +Rs, I almost always buy -R just because thats what I've always done, haven't had any issues.

Sorry for taking so long for an update.

I got good news and bad news. The good news is, I actually did manage to get a successful burn... the bad news is, it's extremely haphazard and completely not consistent.

Memorex disks are crap. I've never seen an official report saying this, but I've always had the most failures with Memorex disks. Unfortunately, they also seem to be the only manufacturer that sells DL disks at Walmart and Staples; meaning, I have to order DL disks if I want to use some other brand.

Lower the burn speed does seem to increase reliability. Although if things are working right you should be able to burn at max speed and have no problems, otherwise why make disks that claim 16x or 20x? So while this may help you get through your batch of bad disks, I think bad disks are the ones to take the blame here.

I use TDK discs, the same pack is still the one I've been using for years (they stayed that long since I hadn't been able to use them till recently), and I never had any problem with any brand of CDs or DVDs until this little problem of mine.

I did manage to successfully burn some DVDs using a lower burn speed, 4x to be specific, any lower or higher and it wouldn't burn correctly. The other thing I did was remain around 4 gbs (I use DL DVDs) since trying to burn anything larger would result in a failure.

Finally, I had to use the default windows burner, with explorer, which granted is a new experience for me, but when I tried to burn it with any software I was using before, I got the very same input/output error.

I still want to try to do something to fix it, but at this point I'm seriously considering of scraping some cash and getting a new one.

Back