Install Windows 7 without DVD ROM/USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkid

My First PC: all set and running no problems

My Second PC: has IDE Hard Disk drive ,when i connect my DVD ROM(Also IDE) along with the IDE HDD,computer doesnt boot...so installing any OS off a Disc is out of question...the computer DOES boot if only one of the devices is connected.
either i can copy setup files of the OS onto the IDE drive using my First PC OR i can do a network boot if someone can provide a good guide which works with win7 64bit

Why dont you look at the reason why it will not boot with two IDE devices connected. Do you have the jumpers set correctly. You need to set the jumpers as CS (cable select). Connect your hard drive on the end of the cable and the DVD ROM in the middle. It should work.

'. Do you have the jumpers set correctly. You need to set the jumpers as CS (cable select). ' dont know wht this means....

and as for cables ill give it a try but another older IDE DVD ROM works even when 2 IDE drives are connected but it doesnt work with my SONY DVD ROM ...the old dvd roms gone bad and it doesnt work...and i checked the release history of the motherboards bios it says at 2 or 3 updates that this issue has been fixed for MOST drives but not all...

Jumpers are located between the power connector and the IDE connector. It is a little plastic thing you move between different sets of pins to tell the system whether it is a master, single, slave or cable select. Cable Select means the the placement of the cable will tell the system which is master and which is slave. Check out this page http://freepctech.com/pc/001/installing_ide_devices.shtml or google "IDE Jumpers"

you proved to be one awesome dog :p it worked like a charm,checked out the jumper settings from the manual of my DVD Drive hehehe...btw now that its slave,even if i only connect 1 IDE drive and keep it slave,will that make any difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back