Installation of Nvidia graphics card on Linux Fedora 12 SOLVED

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a fresh install of Linux Fedora 12 and discovered that this new version of Fedora doesn't like my Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX graphics card. I tried numerous installation techniques but they failed every time. I scoured the forums for answers but no single answer would work. Finally, I rearranged the steps from a couple of different forums and it worked. If you're having trouble getting your Nvidia card installed in Fedora 12, then give this a try. Let me know if it works.

Nvidia Driver Install for Fedora 12[

1. Edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf file using Gedit
  2. Open a Terminal Window
  3. Login as superuser (enter "su" at the command prompt, and press Enter.)
  4. You'll be prompted for your password. Type it in and press Enter.
  5. Paste “gedit /boot/grub/grub.conf” into command prompt, and then press Enter.
  6. Find the kernel line in the grub.conf file. It will say something like “ kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.31.1-56.local.fc12.x86_64 ro root=UUID=XXX rhgb quiet”
  7. After the word “quiet”, paste “nouveau.modeset=0”
  8. Save and close the grub.conf file.
  9. At the Terminal prompt, paste “setsebool -P allow_execstack on” and press enter.
  10. At the Terminal prompt, paste “yum --enablerepo=rp*g install kmod-nvidia.$(uname -m) xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.i686 xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs.x86_64”
  11. Exit all instances of Terminal.
  12. Reboot

Well, that's what worked for me. I'm running Fedora 12 in 1680x1050 screen resolution using my Nvidia GeForce 9800GTX card. It looks great. Hope this works for you too.

Best of luck,
    :cool: Stevizard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back