Installing Win 7 32 bit

Christos21

Hi there. I have an old desktop that I decided to format and Install win 7 32 bit. Problem is that I dont have a cd drive. So this is what I tried so far:
Step 1). I created a bootable USB. I couldnt install it that way no matter what I tried through the BIOS settings.
Step 2). I dismantled a new cd driver from a new desktop with connections similar like a sata 3 HDD and connect it to the old pc. Inserted the windows cd and still nothing.
Step 3). I removed the HDD from the old pc I connected it to the new desktop installed there with WIN 7 32 bit version and putted back again to the old pc the HDD and fails on startip during the WIN 7 Logo.

Any help?

Step 3 is 90% success!! you need the motherboard drivers for the system into which the HD was connected.

I think that you'll need to install Windows 7 from an external usb CD/DVD drive. It's highly unlikely that installing Windows on a second computer and then putting the hard drive back into another one is going to work out.

The BIG risk is unlike architectures; eg AMD vs Intel, 32bit vs 64bit.
Keep consistent and this approach does work.

Of course not, install on the old PC - that's where they are needed after all......

The procedure is to download the correct motherboard and other device drivers from the (old) m/b manufacturer and other devices from their manufacturers. You place these in some accessible place on the HDD. Then your next problem is to boot the old PC somehow. That will usually be via safe mode F8 at boot time. From that point, you can run the driver installs.

There are other, more complicated ways of installing on an old PC when you cannot get the install CD to boot. The bare bones are, starting from a new PC, add the OLD HDD as a second drive, and copy to a folder all the entries on the Win 7 install CD, plus the motherboard drivers for the OLD PC as previously described. Finally, and still on the new PC, make that 2nd HDD bootable. For this, you typically need a copy of MS DOS and can go SYS D: and create an autoexec.bat.

Move the HDD back into the OLD PC and it should then boot happily to DOS, from where you can run SETUP.EXE in the folder you copied Win 7 install to.

Last edited:
The BIG risk is unlike architectures; eg AMD vs Intel, 32bit vs 64bit.
Keep consistent and this approach does work.
Thanks for replying!! MoBo of the old PC is Gigabyte 946 GMX S-2 with Intel Processor and the new PC MoBo is
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P with AMD processor. Jo you mean to install the drivers of the old PC MoBo on the HDD through the new PC?

You are gonna run into problems that way.

Revisit Step 1. You did it wrong. You can boot that board from USB, get the Windows 7 USB Tool and use that: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool Create it on old computer.

Step 2 should also work. Seems like you are dealing with a Windows 7 DVD that you straight up copied the files over and didn't make it the correct way (so therefore, not bootable - this is also what I suspect happened with your 'bootable' usb).

Microsoft discs are heavily protected and pretty near impossible to copy so if you haven't an original disc it's necessary to download an ISO or digital image of the installation disc. Digital River run the download site. This is all legal and the image can then be burnt to a disc or used on a usb stick with the Microsoft installation tool.

Back