Installing Win 7 on a Win 8.1 pro laptop

abbasi

Hello all,

My hp envy 14-k008tx sleekbook has windows 8.1 pro. It doesn't have DVD drive. When I put Windows 7 ultimate to install and click on "Install now" button, it gives me an error saying
"A required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing. If you have driver floppy disk, Cd, DVD, or USB, please insert it now. Note: If the Windows installation media is in the cd/dvd drive, you can safely remove it for this step."
I don't know how to install that 7 on it. Any help will be appreciated.

If you make an ISO of the installation disc and download the Windows 7 usb DVD Download Tool from Microsoft you'll be able to do it providing there are no hardware problems.
Downloading one of the third part software programs to enable you to set up Windows 8.1 the way you would like is a better way to go. I reckon the best one is StartisBack which after a trial period finishes you have to pay a couple of pounds for. Set 8.1 up in this way you'll have a more secure and stable OS than Windows 7 without all the work. Why not try this option first? If you wait Windows 9 will be out for next year and it may be a free or cheap upgrade for 8.1. Well we can hope.

Are you really serious!!!!?
I don't want to install 8.1 at this time. I said want to install 7 on a pre installed 8.1 laptop and have problem in this case. And about using usb stick, I burned the win 7 iso into it and tested but same result :(

Yes I am serious. There's plenty of information if you google and put time into reading it up. You will find support for my comments about modifying 8.1 being a better and also faster solution. It's become a boring topic so if you've already made up your mind fair enough.

I did a usb stick W7 install a couple of years ago and just followed the instructions. Apart from taking quite a while it's not rocket science.

http://lifehacker.com/5423747/windo...l-lets-you-install-windows-from-a-thumb-drive

Remember that this is in fact a "downgrade" to Windows that you are attempting so that may make it more difficult on the latest hardware.

It looks like you will have some hardware problems and there are changes to be made in the BIOS. I watched part of a video that I thought was explaining things really well. If you haven't managed to install the OS yet it's worth watching at least the first six minutes. It'd be easier to burn the W7 ISO to a disc rather than install via a usb stick.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=t89VQP0ZCLY

My Windows 8.1 looks and feels just like XP Home after being modified.

Last edited:
You would need to turn off secure boot in the bios. Put the machine in legacey boot. In order for win 7 to install. But this dose not always turn out for the best, Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thank you both of you very much. The problem - as cobalt said - was related to secure boot. And problem solved.
But I need to be familiar with secure boot more. When I should turn it on and so on.

Webopedia:

"Microsoft Secure Boot is a component of Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system that relies on the UEFI specification’s secure boot functionality to help prevent malicious software applications and "unauthorized" operating systems from loading during the system start-up process.
While there is some concern that Microsoft Secure Boot will make it difficult to install Linux or other operating systems on a Windows 8 computer, the secure boot functionality in Windows 8 is primarily designed to protect users from rootkits and other low-level malware attacks by blocking unauthorized (non-signed) executables and drivers from being loaded during the boot process.

Personal computers bearing the Windows 8-certified logo will be required to ship with Microsoft Secure Boot enabled."

That does confirm that Windows 8.1 is more secure as well as a bit faster. So far I haven't added extra security software to my 8.1 set up.

Essentially I doubt about the Microsoft Windows from beginning until now. Arising Windows in first time (I don't remember its name right now) had many doubts with itself when first graphics OS (UNIX like) was released which was open source and immediately after that Microsoft released its first graphic OS but with a closed source. Many people would think the kernel of the two were the same!
Anyway, at this time I think the reason that secure boot is pre-enabled in new Windows labeled laptops is more to prevent novices from installing UNIX-like OSes not only the security aspects!
To me, working on Windows 7 is much easier and more convenient than 8.1 :)

Thanks for your info.

I've had an email from Microsoft about Windows 8/8.1 apps. If the Windows store had a wide range of high quality apps there would be much more enthusiasm for the latest OS. There is a shortage of reviews too. I'd almost forgotten about the apps in the Windows Store but having looked at what's on offer Microsoft have a mountain to climb.

To be honest, I don't see what you two say! First the Microsoft has a huge namber of great apps, like visual studio, sql server, browser, office etc. Then, the Microsoft has did biggest mission which is creating an OS and creating app for it is other's. Windows is most used OS in this planet (!) and many other companies are dependent to it to attach and introduce their products to the world in a bigger extent. :)

Not putting apps down Just saying there is a lot of them. Some I have never even checked out yet. Yes you are right about windows being the most used OS.

If you reinstall Windows 8.1 and explore the OS you'll find that Windows apps are not the same thing as programs. Windows 7 has no Windows Store and hence no apps. Apps have given the edge to the tablets which have become so attractive in the last couple of years. Microsoft is miles behind in this area abbasi.

In computer science's point of view, There isn't any difference between app, program and software. They are all one thing which are coded by some programming language.

About the windows 8.1 and its so-called apps and the Windows 7 without those apps, I should say again that, there are many apps/programs/software (including all of those apps) out there free or paid for Windows 7 as well.
Processes are approximately the same, downloading then installing.

Maybe that's theoretically true but If they were the same thing Microsoft wouldn't have had so many major probems incorporating the two in Windows 8.0/8.1. Computer Science isn't where many of us live. You've decided on Windows 7 so the distinction doesn't matter to you you unless at some later stage Microsoft introduce the Windows Store to earlier systems. There's zero likelihood of that though. Roll on Windows 9 or is it really going to be Windows 10? Windows 8.0 followed by 8.1, 8.1 plus update 1 then what? I think they should go for a name rather than a number for the next OS.

Although the words we use, app, software, program, are common in our talks here, but I think we are each talking about different areas. Probably what I say is more general. As well as these talks are not completely related to the title of this thread (which is solved!). If you are eager about current topic, make a thread with that title and I promise to take part in it. :)

Last edited:
A suitable thread has already been started but it's not attracted much comment. See "Windows 9" in this section of the forum. You'd expect keener interest in what Microsoft might come up with next. The next OS needs to be very good.

Back