Installing Windows XP over Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning forums. I know this has been a much discussed subject but I am a computer *****. First, my machine.
CPU-Intel Core 2 quad Q6600
Motherboard- Abit IP35 Pro 775 Intel P35 ATX
Memory-4x1 GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR2 1066 (PC@ 8500)
GPU-eVGA NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768 MB
Hard Drive 1-WD 250 GB 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Sata 3.0GB/s
Hard Drive 2-WD 250 GB 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Sata 3.0GB/s
Koolancs EXOS 2 with waterblocks installed on the CPU and GPU
Case-Lian Li PC-V1000B Plus II
Power Supply-ModXstream 780W (part # OCZ780MXS)
Optical Drive-Samsung SH-220B Sata 20X Dual Layer DVD+/RW
NetGear WiFi Adaptor 802.11g (G/MIMO)

My problem: The PC came with Windows Vista Home premium 32 bit installed on HDD 1 and HDD2 was for storage. No raid set. I wanted to install Windows XP on the second drive so that I would have a dual boat system since some of my programs did not work well with Vista. Well, I didn't read how to do it and went ahead and started the install of WinXP Pro on drive 2. Of course this screwed up the Vista boot manager and I cannot boot either Vista or XP now. I even unplugged the HDD 1 drive and plugged Drive 2 into the Sata 1 controller. The Win XP install CD will start from the DVD drive and copy the files to the HDD but when it is time to retart the PC it stops at "A disk read error occurred" Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. The WinXp Pro disk is an educational CD purchased from my college IT department. Any help correcting this issue would be much appreciated.

Ok, that worked and Vista seems to be back and running fine. Thank you for the quick reply. Now the hard part is installing XP Pro on the second hard drive.

Kimsland,
Do I disconnect the 1st HDD with Vista installed and connect the 2nd HDD to Sata port 1 or just disconnect HDD1 and leave HDD2 connected to SATA port 2? Will the XP Pro install still screw up the Vista MBR? Before I attempt to install XP Pro on the second HDD, should I download and install EasyBCD in Vista?

Done

Thanks for all the help. Your links were right on and I have the system set up to dual boot. Everything is working fine as far as I can tell. I wish I could have resolved the gaming issue with Vista though. That would have been so much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back