Installing XP on Gateway notebook mt3107b

Status
Not open for further replies.

laptox

This laptop came with home basic - but the install is in such a state. I want to reinstall it. Unfortunatley I don't have a home basic install DVD and the recovery partition has been deleted.
I was trying to install xp - but it blue screens - there is no option in the bios for AHCI - which usually does the trick. Interestingly the bois lists the HDD as IDE but per the gateway web site this model has a PATA hard drive ? (confused)

So does anybody have any idea how I can install xp pro on this Laptop.

Or does anyone know where I can get a copy of home basic - as I have a valid license key ?

If you are reinstalling it would be good idea to delete your old partition; then create a new one/format it during xp setup and reinstall. If there is no hardware related issue then this should work. Goodluck

I don't get that Far into XP set up to format the disk though. I know I could use utility tools to format it - but I don't reckon the current install, should halt an XP install (never has before)

Is this notebook out of warranty period now? Have you experienced any blue screens with your older windows installation?

I am hoping that its boot sector is not physically damaged or something like that.

Its not my Laptop - repairing for friend. I did have a corrupt MBR - but this fixed pretty easy - and boots into vista ok now.
I reckon its something to do with IDE\AHCI - but don't have the option to change it in the BIOS.

I am not so sure; XP supports PATA/AHCI without any hitch; however, when it comes to SATA its a different story. Have you tried loading bios to default settings and then reinstall xp ?

I Have put xp on SATA before - once youve changed the bios setting its been fine. I don't what PATA is ....is it a type of IDE ? - that would explain why the bios lists IDE - but the specs say PATA

Parallel ATA = is a hard disk interface also known as IDE, ATA, ATAPI, UDMA and PATA

It is an interface standard for the connection of storage devices such as hard disks, floppy drives, and CD-ROM/DVD drives in computers.

Thanks that clears that up then !

So either the XP disk doesn't have drivers for that drive (Unlikley?)
or the disk itself has issues - think I will run a full checkdsk on ot tonight

Any other ideas ?

This is weird - it won't load the bart tools disk - which has disk checker on. it will load a vista premuim disk - but I need basic
Seems its happy to load vista but not XP - this ones got me baffled. Memtest all passed...

Any ideas how to proceed folks ?

It is confusing for sure; i.e. XP not picking an old PATA HDD. Anyway, do you have another XP media? may be it is the root cause all this?

You can use it with your own legal XP Key.

I have tried mutiple XP disks both pro and home. - Both bomb out with a bluescreen message that it maybe related to a plug and play driver.

The killer for me was when the bart diagnostic disk wouldn't boot. A Vista home premuim disk - gets to the GUI - but then I don't have a valid home premuin license- to see if it would get any further. Those very helpful people at Gateway, won't sell me a recovery disk as I am outside USA\Canada !!!!

The vista install boots but won't let me install or uninstall anything.

I think my only hope is if I can find sort of diag\fix disk that runs in a command prompt environment.....?

Getting desparate now folks ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back