Installing xp or 2000 os on laptop new hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I GOT A ACER TRAVELMATE 610TX.WELL WHENE I GOT IT THE HDD WAS FRYED,LIKE RATTELD.I GOT A NOTHER HDD 80GIG.HERE IS THE PROBLEM!ACCORDING TO EVERYTHING IVE READ THE HDD IS COMPATIBLE.IN THE BIOS IT IS RECONISEDAND SHOWS IT AS BEING BOOTABLE.THE CD-DVD ON THE OTHER IIS RECONISED BUT IS NOT SHOWN AS BEING BOOTABLE.BUT I GOT A USB EXTERNIAL FLOPPY THAT IS RECONISED AND SHOWN AS BEING BOOTABLE AND IT DOES.WELL I TRYED TO INSTALL WINDOWS WITH FLOPPY.GOT BLUE SCREEN ON THE LAST DISK.SO I TOOK THE HDD OUT AND HOOK IT TO MY TOWER THROW A USB PORT.IT IT WAS RECONISED SO I FORMATED PARTION AND SET ACTIVEI PUT IT BACK INTO THE LAPTOP AND TRYED TO BOOT AND GOT NTLDR IS MISSING PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RE START.I DID SOME MORE READING AND CAME UP WITH A BOOT FLOPPY THAT WOULD GET ME BACK INTO WINDOWS IF THERE WERE A WINDOWS THERE.IN STEAD I GET THIS MESSAGECOMPUTER COULD NOYT START BECAUS OF A COMPUTER DISK HARDWARE CONFIGURATION PROBLEM.COULD NOT READ FROM THE SELECTED BOOT DISK.CHECK BOOT PATH AND DISK HARDWARE.PLEASE CHECK THE WINDOWS DOCUMENTATION ABOUT HARDWARE DISK CONFIGURATION AND HARDWARE REFERENCE MANUALS..NOW THAT IS WHERE WERE AT. NOT SAYING I DIDNT TRY OTHER THINGS..I HAVE JUST FORGOT HOW TO GETAROUND SOMETHINGS PLUSS I DONT HAVE MY OLD UTIL PROGRAMS BACK FROM WIN3.1 UP TO WIN95 IS ABOUT WHENE I BURNED OUT.WELL IAM BACK BUT I NEED HELP!IVE BEEN MESSING AROUND WITH THIS FOR A MONTH NOW AND MY WIFE IS ABOUT TO KILL ME.NOT TO SAY I GOT MORE COMPUTERS TO TRY AND FIX.PLEAS HELP.I KNOW IAM CLOSE .sory about cap letters

Look for a message telling you to hit a key to enter setup (commonly F1, F2 or Delete). Roam through the BIOS until you find something comparable to "Boot Sequence" or "Boot Order" etc. Set your CD drive at the top of the list and try booting off the operating system CD again.

If you attempted to install Windows on that HDD with another PC and then moved the HDD to your laptop, odds are it's not going to work.

Delete the partition you've created, create a new partition and install Windows there.

Please, please, in the future try to space your text out here and there and don't use all capitals. I was lost by the third line and had to reread that block of b*llsh*t about 5 times over.

I did put the boot in that order and the only thing i did when it was hook to the other computer was format and partition through disk management.

In the boot sequence of the BIOS there is some symbols in front of the hdd,floppy drive but not in front of the CD drive.

when the boot screen comes up it recognized the CD drive but does not assign a drive letter.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back