Insufficient privileges to my documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for reading

so i'm just trying to install something, 4OD to be precise, and i get this message:

Error 1303. The installer has insufficient privileges to access this directory: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Deliveries. The installation cannot continue. Log on as administrator or contact your system administrator

now i'm presuming here that it wants to create a folder named 'My Deliveries', but heres the problems:

1. I am the administrator on my computer
2. I don't have a folder named 'Documents' where it should be, although there is one named 'Shared Documents'

can anyone help?

thanks

The path for the installation is wrong. (if this is Vista)

You need to change the installation path to:
C:\Users\username\Documents\My Deliveries (where "username" is your account name you are currently logged on with)

i should have stated that to start with, i am using windows xp. and no i havn't deleted the my documents folder.

i can access the folder 'Documents' for all users, but have to make it shared for some reason. but, i can not add a new folder in the documents folder, which is probably why when installing it can not make a folder either.

any ideas? when i try to make a new folder it just says access is denied :s

EDIT:
i think i may have done it, i just selected 'Allow network users to change my files'. not sure why this needed to be done though, i think it may have been a while back when i was trying to set up the computer to be networked with my laptop. it due for a reformat anyway, that'll fix it

I'm having a problem with accessing my files to install some software.
Im the computers administrator.
i am not allowed acess to documentsandsettings\users\documents\mydeliveries

However, when i go into 'documentsandsettings\users\documents' there is no file under the name of mydeliveries.

Does anyone know how i can correct this?
Thanks,
Tom

Try start run-> %userprofile%\My Documents\MyDeliveries

By the way, "mydeliveries" is a personal (non MS) folder, so I don't know how it's spelt, or if you have a space in it (ie My Deliveries)

Try start run-> %userprofile%\My Documents\MyDeliveries

tomasan

if you were to try the above, i think kimsland typo'ed and forget to put quotes around it (are needed) "%userprofile%\My Documents\MyDeliveries" ;)

you'll also need to be clear on your operating system (e.g. xp pro vs xp home vs vista blah blah) as they can have their own quirks in handling your problem

did you note
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\My Deliveries
this is the (XP) area for commonly shared files and folders
[Vista would be \Users\All Users\Documents (I believe) ]

Using SAFE MODE BOOT, you can verify the permissions of
All Users
<Administrators> Full control
<users> Read Execute
<everyone> Read Execute​
and the existence and permissions of
Documents.
<Administrators> Full control