Intel Alder Lake-P sample beats Apple's M1 Pro and M1 Max in leaked benchmarks

nanoguy

Staff member
In brief: Intel says it's ready to bring the thunder with its upcoming Alder Lake processors. Judging by the latest leaks, the company may indeed have something to prove on the performance front, even if it will likely come at the cost of high power consumption. If you ignore performance-per-watt, Intel's upcoming mobile flagship CPU can hold its own against Apple's M1 Max and M1 Pro, which would be no small feat.

Last week, someone tested an Intel Alder Lake-P engineering sample, giving us the first glimpse at what Team Blue has in store for people who work and play on a laptop. The processor in question was the Core i9-12900H, which is supposed to be the locked multiplier version of Intel’s 12th generation flagship notebook CPU. It’s a 14-core, 20-thread part that could be up to two times more powerful in gaming workloads than Intel’s 11th generation Core i9-11980HK (Tiger Lake) CPU.

Thanks to the folks over at Wccftech, we have a separate benchmark to look at, and this time the Core i9-12900HK is the alleged star of the show. This would be the untamed version of the Core i9-12900H that users can take to new heights through manual overclocking. But more importantly, it seems to compare quite favorably to Apple’s latest custom Arm-based chipsets — the M1 Pro and the M1 Max, both of which have a 10-core CPU with eight performance cores and two energy-efficient cores.

Geekbench is where Apple chipsets tend to shine bright against the competition, but even so, Intel’s yet-to-be-released Core i9-12900HK was able to score 1,851 points in the single-core test and 13,256 in the multi-score test. For reference, Apple’s latest silicon manages around 1,770 points in the single-core test and 12,600 points in the multi-core test. Mind you, this doesn’t paint a full picture and it should’t surprise anyone if the Alder Lake part is only able to achieve these numbers with a higher power consumption, especially since it was manufactured using a less advanced process node.

An even more interesting comparison can be drawn between the unreleased Intel mobile CPU and the previous Tiger Lake flagship as well as its AMD counterpart. It turns out those two CPUs aren’t even in the same league when it comes to the multi-core test, with the Core i9-11980HK sitting at around 9,150 points and the Ryzen 5980HX scoring a more modest 8,217 points.

The Core i9-12900HK also manages to score 14.5 percent higher in the single-core test when compared to the Tiger Lake flagship, which is pretty much in line with the claims made by Intel during its Architecture Day event earlier this year. It’s worth noting the tests were done on Windows 11 so that Intel’s Alder Lake engineering sample could enjoy full software support for its scheduling capabilities, but results may still improve over the coming months.

Overall, this lends some credibility to Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger’s claim that Intel is back with a vengeance. At least on the performance front, it looks like that claim may indeed hold true with Alder Lake. However, it will be interesting to see if Team Blue can keep up with Apple and even AMD, both of which have been quick to innovate over the last few years.

Permalink to story.

I didn’t really want to switch to Mac for my next laptop after seeing M1 Max destroy Intel Tiger Lake, so, if true, this is good news for us PC folk

So you'll need a 7lb laptop with 3lb of it being copper cooling and fans...of course I jest but what are power/heat numbers for such a mobile beast?

M1 Max vs 12900K in real world productivity face-off!
The performance looks to be similar. Intels chips will be faster but it will use less optimised software.

Also I’m guessing the Intel part will use 4x+ more power than the M1 Max so if you’re not plugged in the Intel part will suffer massively.

Really all it means is that if you prefer Windows software you have a faster CPU option. They won’t really directly compete. Most content creators will choose their software and then buy what they need for that software. If someone uses final cut they won’t swap to premiere pro or something that works on windows just because there may be faster silicon available for it.

The performance looks to be similar. Intels chips will be faster but it will use less optimised software.
Sure, but the argument is always ARM vs x86 as a whole. The new Intel part is a hybrid design that should flourish in smaller form factors like laptops. I'd like to see that head to head.

The discussion is tiresome without a head to head in my opinion. The performance figures we get are from benchmarks and a test here and there that show up in news articles. Geekbench is trash btw. If anything, look at the compute numbers, not the overall score to even get an idea of who would win in the real world. What's needed is a definitive test where ARM (M1) and x86 (Intel and AMD) are given a series of realistic tasks in a real world head to head to head.

This comes from things I've seen where the M1 isn't as strong in the real world as people think it is against x86. Unfortunately that testing hasn't been performed on mainstream sites that I've seen - yet. If Apple silicon peaks with Apple software, then I'd like to see that officially addressed.

Last edited:
The question is always at what power - this is an unlocked CPU, so if it was run at 100W the results are pretty meaningless for laptops.

Obvious question is:

Was Intel powered laptop connected to 1kW chiller?

I don't believe one word from Intel right now seeing first hand what older M1 can do in Blender (via Rosetta2) on most basic MacBook Air you could get inside 30W power envelope. Spoiler alert: It doesn't look good for Intel.

Surely we can see a contest between the two. There is a slew of common-ground applications. Blender, C4D, Affinity Suite, ZBrush, Keyshot, ...Adobe Abominations, etc.

And no matter how much Intel trash-talks Apple. No self-respecting music studio use PCs. It's only Macs with Logic. Everywhere. Like literally.

In my opinion, I think Intel don't get it. It seems that their aim is to just go all out to take back any performance crown at the expense of power and consequently heat. I feel one of the reasons why some companies and even individuals are not buying their chip because they are very power hungry and hot. Which I suspect is one of the reasons why companies are switching to custom ARM cores instead of either AMD or Intel chips now. AMD is an option because it offers more performance per buck, and don't burn through that much power to deliver that sort of performance. Compared to the M1, I feel there is not a single Intel processor that can provide good battery life without a gigantic battery, and/or, some serious throttling to keep the power consumption in check. As we step up to the M1 Pro and Max, I feel the efficiency gap is wider.

Last edited:
Obvious question is:

Was Intel powered laptop connected to 1kW chiller?

I don't believe one word from Intel right now seeing first hand what older M1 can do in Blender (via Rosetta2) on most basic MacBook Air you could get inside 30W power envelope. Spoiler alert: It doesn't look good for Intel.

Surely we can see a contest between the two. There is a slew of common-ground applications. Blender, C4D, Affinity Suite, ZBrush, Keyshot, ...Adobe Abominations, etc.

And no matter how much Intel trash-talks Apple. No self-respecting music studio use PCs. It's only Macs with Logic. Everywhere. Like literally.
Yeah, and macs have used intel cpus for the past 10+ years...so the usage of macs in music studio business is because of mac software...

I think that for the majority of people, the fact that you are free to do and run whatever you want on your PC is more important than having a super duper efficient chip on a locked platform and ecosystem. And if you think about it from a technical perspective, the locked nature of the apple platform allows them to get this efficiency, because they stripped away all the legacy stuff, they don't suport any common graphics API, they use the single best process on the market right, so they have absolutely all the advantages on their side. Hence, the better efficiency.

These chips are not about total performance, but performance per watt and they beat both Intel and AMD chips here, however Apple is also using TSMC 5nm

Apple M1 is a perfect chip for most people not doing demanding workloads on their laptop (which is the majority)

These chips are not about total performance, but performance per watt and they beat both Intel and AMD chips here, however Apple is also using TSMC 5nm

Apple M1 is a perfect chip for most people not doing demanding workloads on their laptop (which is the majority)

If I just wanted a 13inch media consumption/browser and was money constraint - why but a $1000 machine - oh it's fast - so what - it's got a beautiful screen - so what - If I want to watch something I will watch it on a big monitor or TV .

If you want to integrate with a iphone for video stuff - well 256Gb SSD drive is sad ,
Students, office workers , people in apple system - yeah lots of reasons for folks to buy one - I have no use for it - would gather dust .
so not completely perfect it money a problem - a chromebook with be cheap and cheerful for many, Even easier to maintain

If I just wanted a 13inch media consumption/browser and was money constraint - why but a $1000 machine - oh it's fast - so what - it's got a beautiful screen - so what - If I want to watch something I will watch it on a big monitor or TV .

If you want to integrate with a iphone for video stuff - well 256Gb SSD drive is sad ,
Students, office workers , people in apple system - yeah lots of reasons for folks to buy one - I have no use for it - would gather dust .
so not completely perfect it money a problem - a chromebook with be cheap and cheerful for many, Even easier to maintain

Compairing a Chromebook with a MacBook Pro is like compairing water with wine

Sure, but the argument is always ARM vs x86 as a whole. The new Intel part is a hybrid design that should flourish in smaller form factors like laptops. I'd like to see that head to head.

The discussion is tiresome without a head to head in my opinion. The performance figures we get are from benchmarks and a test here and there that show up in news articles. Geekbench is trash btw. If anything, look at the compute numbers, not the overall score to even get an idea of who would win in the real world. What's needed is a definitive test where ARM (M1) and x86 (Intel and AMD) are given a series of realistic tasks in a real world head to head to head.

This comes from things I've seen where the M1 isn't as strong in the real world as people think it is against x86. Unfortunately that testing hasn't been performed on mainstream sites that I've seen - yet. If Apple silicon peaks with Apple software, then I'd like to see that officially addressed.
I’d find a head to head interesting but it wouldn’t prove much. The only realistic way I could think of doing it would be edit a video with the similar edits on two seperate software instances on Mac and Windows and seeing how smooth playback is at 4x/8x etc before mastering then also recording total master time. M1 chips do need Mac software to perform well (Not limited to just Apple software though), that’s half of its success. If you could find a way of getting Windows software to work on it with emulation or so it would be severely gimped and would not represent the experience the M1 actually offers.

I should mention that my experience with the M1 is that it’s absolutely insane. I have the iPad Pro with it and it will master 4K video quicker than any laptop I’ve used and it’s a 6.4mm thick iPad with no fans or even a cable plugging into a power supply. It doesn’t even get very warm. It also loads web pages faster on safari than my friends 5900X desktop CPU loads on Firefox. If you’re expecting a desktop powerhouse then youl be disappointed but for the power budget it has its miles in front of anything else around and fast enough to compete with hot, heavy X86 parts at least.

As far as I’m concerned X86 tech for home users is a dead man walking. The efficiency gains from ARM will kill it eventually. Currently we don’t have viable ARM hardware for what we use a lot of our X86 machines for but that will change. Personally I’m all for it.

Mark Gurman : For those who think the M1 Pro and M1 Max in the MacBook Pro are impressive, the new Mac Pro desktop is expected to come in at least two variations: 2X and 4X the number of CPU and GPU cores as the M1 Max. That’s up to 40 CPU cores and 128 GPU cores on the high-end.
6:54 PM · Oct 18, 2021

Comparing Apple's Arm Chips or even AMD's Ryzen CPU's to a CPU that is a space heater as well is super dumb. Intel top CPU's have become notoriously hard to cool in recent memory without chonky cooling.

Last edited:
I’d find a head to head interesting but it wouldn’t prove much. The only realistic way I could think of doing it would be edit a video with the similar edits on two seperate software instances on Mac and Windows and seeing how smooth playback is at 4x/8x etc before mastering then also recording total master time. M1 chips do need Mac software to perform well (Not limited to just Apple software though), that’s half of its success. If you could find a way of getting Windows software to work on it with emulation or so it would be severely gimped and would not represent the experience the M1 actually offers.

I should mention that my experience with the M1 is that it’s absolutely insane. I have the iPad Pro with it and it will master 4K video quicker than any laptop I’ve used and it’s a 6.4mm thick iPad with no fans or even a cable plugging into a power supply. It doesn’t even get very warm. It also loads web pages faster on safari than my friends 5900X desktop CPU loads on Firefox. If you’re expecting a desktop powerhouse then youl be disappointed but for the power budget it has its miles in front of anything else around and fast enough to compete with hot, heavy X86 parts at least.

As far as I’m concerned X86 tech for home users is a dead man walking. The efficiency gains from ARM will kill it eventually. Currently we don’t have viable ARM hardware for what we use a lot of our X86 machines for but that will change. Personally I’m all for it.
If people are going to keep comparing them then there needs to be a head to head. Just saying ARM will take over is just speculation.

If people are going to keep comparing them then there needs to be a head to head. Just saying ARM will take over is just speculation.
It absolutely is just speculation. Let’s see if I’m right. ARM has already taken over Apple and MS are fast bringing in support for Windows.

Actually I think X86 machines will eventually be something that only old men have to play their old games as a hobby machine. Everyone else will just use the cloud on a tablet or mobile etc.

But sure I’m no prophet. X86 could dramatically increase in efficiency and performance over the next few years and fight back.

All my life I had PCs with Intel, Cyrix or AMD chips. Last year I bought my first Mac (Mini M1) and I definitely don't want to go back!

The low energy consumption, very high optimization, speed and advanced graphics made me sell my PC i7 16 GB RAM gtx graphics. Mega happy, I just hope game compatibility improves so that the GPU can be better used.

Mark Gurman : For those who think the M1 Pro and M1 Max in the MacBook Pro are impressive, the new Mac Pro desktop is expected to come in at least two variations: 2X and 4X the number of CPU and GPU cores as the M1 Max.

The M1 Pro/Max are so powerful (and so the M1, only the GPU could be more powerful) that I don't really understand what use it would have.

As most AAA games (or high end 3D apps) are windows- only, that extra power won't be used. Myself won't be pressed to buy any other new apple until I find any useful uses (games)

Back