Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger declares "Intel is back"

Daniel Sims

Staff
In brief: CRN's recent interview with the CEO of Intel covers multiple subjects, from the importance of the company's partners to Arm to the effects of the ongoing supply constraints. But Pat Gelsinger seems especially bullish on Intel's competition with AMD in the CPU market, particularly in light of AMD's recent gains there.

Recent AMD processors have compared favorably to Intel's in reviews and benchmarks, which is usually not the case when looking back on the history of competition between the two companies. Gelsinger wants people to know that Intel plans to end any perceived notions that AMD is ahead or dominant.

"So this period of time when people could say, 'Hey, [AMD] is leading,' that's over," he said to CRN. "We are back with a very defined view of what it requires to be leadership in every dimension."

Gelsinger went on to say Intel is leading in chip packaging, software, AI, graphics, and more while mentioning the company's 80 percent market share. "Intel is back," he said.

AMD has been making record market share gains against Intel since 2019. In January of this year, AMD passed Intel in desktop CPU market share for the first time in 15 years.

Gelsinger did commend AMD's recent gains in CPU performance and market share, however.

"AMD has done a solid job over the last couple of years. We won't dismiss them of the good work that they've done," he said. "But that's over with Alder Lake and Sapphire Rapids."

Intel's latest upcoming line of desktop CPUs, Alder Lake, may take the performance throne back from AMD's Ryzen 5000 processors, which launched late last year. Sapphire Rapids—Intel's fourth-generation Xeon server processors—are set to present AMD's Epyc with serious competition.

Gelsinger worked at Intel for three decades before leaving in 2009. He came back to become CEO earlier this year. CRN pointed out the similarities between Gelsinger's absence from Intel and Steve Jobs' absence from Apple before he returned and launched that company towards the dominant position it's in today.

"Steve Jobs had an 11-year vacation from Apple. I had an 11-year vacation as well. And in it, I learned a lot of things," Gelsinger said.

Permalink to story.

Gelsinger stopped Intel from jumping off a cliff. I like his initiatives to build new fabs that aren't all Intel cookie cutter clones. That was their biggest problem, making every plant exactly like the others. When they hit a layering snag going from 14nm to 10nm, it ht them everywhere. No more of that nonsense. He's also signed contracts to "toll-manufacture" chips for other companies. They never did that before. He's making Intel into a company that will be able to compete with AMD's more power efficient processors, and also with TSMC and Samsung's ever improving capabilities.

I'm betting that CPU prices will begin to drop again in a couple of years, mostly due to this guy's new direction for Intel.

Gelsinger stopped Intel from jumping off a cliff. I like his initiatives to build new fabs that aren't all Intel cookie cutter clones. That was their biggest problem, making every plant exactly like the others. When they hit a layering snag going from 14nm to 10nm, it ht them everywhere. No more of that nonsense. He's also signed contracts to "toll-manufacture" chips for other companies. They never did that before. He's making Intel into a company that will be able to compete with AMD's more power efficient processors, and also with TSMC and Samsung's ever improving capabilities.

I'm betting that CPU prices will begin to drop again in a couple of years, mostly due to this guy's new direction for Intel.
Intel has used TSMC in the past actually.

At this point, Intel lost so much ground, they are no longer just competing with AMD.
AWS, Apple, ARM, are all competing against Intel in one market or another.
They really need strong and intelligent leadership. And it seems that Pat is the right man for the job.

He looks really trustworthy.

If he ever gets canned by Intel, he can always get a job as a southern Baptist minister.

Either that, or a personal injury attorney
I went back up and looked at the photo of him holding a chip - I didn't realise you could get a "WAX filter"

The only thing with this is Alderlake was already in the pipeline and most likely done before he cameback to intel to become CEO. So most of the credit there would be with the previous CEO. He will certainly push intel in the right direction.

Last edited:
AMD's waterloo moment seems to have been the 7nm node. They just can't seem to get it to perform. Intel has just barely got the 10nm node to perform. Meanwhile, IBM...

Dunno how all of this is going to end, but it will be fun (and a bit exciting!) to watch.

The only thing with this is Alderlake was already in the pipeline and most likely done before he cameback to intel to become CEO. So most of the credit there would be with the previous CEO. He will certainly push intel in the right direction.
It is true that Alder Lake is already in the pipeline, but I won't give previous CEOs any credit for it. First, they did not design the chip, and second, they took their time releasing the chip. At least from what we can see, Pat have a sense of urgency to get things up and running quickly to stop Intel from falling further back. Intel's tick tock was stuck for 5 to 6 years due to the failure of previous CEO to make quick decisions to get 10nm out of the door. The current 10nm may not be as great as what was originally planned, but getting it delayed year after year will mean that it is DOA because competition would have caught up or overtaken them. Not to mentioned Intel's own 7nm is not actually not that many years away from the proper 10nm that works, I.e. SuperFin.

So, how about delivering Aurora on time with promised specs and without the need for even more government money ? That would be a start.

What does he mean "Intel is Back"?

More 2 Core CPU's?
More CPU's with inferior TIM so they don't OC well and end user has to delid?
More CPU's with fake TDP wherein Intel declare 80W TDP but in reality it's 380W TDP?
More CPU's sans Hyperthreading?

No thanks.

Performance is fine but what about power consumption?

What about cost/performance ratio?

What about giving heatsinks with cpu?

What about unlocking cpus?

What about measuring real performance instead of peak?

What about cross generational support for old motherboards?

AMD is famous not 'just' because it is fast. It's famous as it is relatively more consumer friendly.

Performance is fine but what about power consumption?
What about giving heatsinks with cpu?

I think that ship has sailed, same for AMD. Imo, you can blame reviewers for that.

In the beginning, Ryzen were often reviewed with their stock heatsink vs. Intel CPU that were tested using high end cooling solutions and even later on I don‘t remember seeing non K CPU that do come with an hsf reviewed with them.

Also, the included useable HSF (using my 2700X with the stock HSF) was rarely pointed out / included when it came to doing value for money comparisons.

So, in short, why add cost to your product that isn‘t perceived as value adding (even if it is) ?

"Intel is back" - That's a good slogan actually. On the other hand, it admits that Intel "has been away". Which, again, is actually smart, because putting their head in the sand pretending they are still king of the hill (or slandering their competition) wasn't very nice.

I still have mixed feelings about this gentleman and this message in general, but I think he deserves a chance: he certainly is very knowledgable, and he at least seems trying to steer towards a more sensible direction. The questions raised in previous posts by other commenters about the new products are very valid though, so I'm also eagerly waiting for the actual tests, with real life data. I will also be curious to see how they price the lineup (leaks so far are not good, but we'll see) and how they define platform compatibility going forward. Lots of questions to be answered - will be interesting to see how they pan out.

The solid work AMD is doing isn't going to be "over". What may be starting, indeed, is Intel doing some solid work of its own, and returning to giving AMD some very stiff competition. And there are, of course, areas in which Intel never did lose its lead, such as software support.
However, I wonder if Intel really intends to take the performance crown away from AMD. If past performance before the 10nm debacle is any guide, they're likely to continue to afford AMD a "price umbrella" for the foreseeable future... even if they do break that pattern on one or two occasions to try and entice people back into their fold.
But Intel is, after all, the "safe" option, being a larger company. So all they have to do is get close.

*lol That's fair, TS. I thought it was harmless enough, but I was clearly wrong.

Intel seems incredibly confident. This is very exciting!

Back