Intel Core i7-10750H vs i7-9750H Review

Julio Franco

Staff member

Today we're taking a look at what's likely going to be the most popular of Intel's 10th generation H-series processors, the Core i7-10750H. This six-core processor is the successor to the very popular Core i7-8750H and Core i7-9750H, which are almost the universal choice for gaming laptops in the $1,000 to $1,800 range, and often take a lead role in productivity-focused 15-inch ultraportables as well.

Read the full article here.

Lack of stocks is a huge problem for AMD laptops. At the biggest online electronics store in my country I could only find 1 model and that was not even in stock, just put up for pre-order at a premium price.

edit:thanks Jimbo

Last edited:
I reckon that by the time the world realises that AMD has finally stopped making garbage CPUs it will be too late and Intel will have overtaken them again.

That’s why hardly any laptops have AMD in them, people see an AMD logo and avoid it like it’s covered in COVID19.

Years and years of bottom of the barrel AMD A-series laptops with 2 or 4GB RAM and 5400 RPM spinny drives will keep people far away from AMD in laptops for a while. And if all you see is Intel branding on your work Dell Latitude or HP Elitebook, why would you choose AMD for you own laptop?

The only way out of that is for AMD to push the performance community first and hope the good word of mouth trickles down to friends/family/colleagues.

Lack of stocks is a huge problem. At the biggest online electronics store in my country I could only find 1 model and that was not even in stock, just put up for pre-order at a premium price.

Based on the review, the huge problem to me looked like a lack of performance.

I reckon that by the time the world realises that AMD has finally stopped making garbage CPUs it will be too late and Intel will have overtaken them again.

That’s why hardly any laptops have AMD in them, people see an AMD logo and avoid it like it’s covered in COVID19.

These awesome new AMD mobile chips just officially launched a few weeks ago ... It is going to take a bit of time for the word to get out (their previous ryzen mobile was meh).

Also, I'm not sure when Intel will be able to overtake them again, it could still be a few years out, their roadmap isn't looking great and it really appears their 10nm isn't going to do it. They should be back in the game at their 7nm, but AMD isn't standing still either.

Late 2021 should be an interesting time.

Years and years of bottom of the barrel AMD A-series laptops with 2 or 4GB RAM and 5400 RPM spinny drives will keep people far away from AMD in laptops for a while. And if all you see is Intel branding on your work Dell Latitude or HP Elitebook, why would you choose AMD for you own laptop?

The only way out of that is for AMD to push the performance community first and hope the good word of mouth trickles down to friends/family/colleagues.
To this day, one of the biggest corporate hardware suppliers in the U.K. (I won’t name who but they are but they supply our company too unfortunately) provides a base model HP laptop with an AMD A10 APU inside it. This is their standard laptop for most new employees in some of the largest companies in the U.K. (FTSE100). These are dreadful laptops and users are always complaining about slow performance. What managers routinely tell new staff to do when ordering is to ask for the Intel model. Or tell users to exchange for an Intel model.

Ryzen laptops are available. I currently have one but generally people get confused and to keep it simple they just ask for Intel. Ive even noticed that the AMD laptops supplied - even the Ryzen ones don’t have an AMD sticker on them but the Intel ones all have an Intel sticker on it.

It’s things like this that hurt AMD badly. The general public don’t read websites like this, they ask their boss which one to get. Or a friend.

Precisely.

My dad's desktop crashed, I had to scramble to a hardware shop to buy one of their preconfigs, and because I was the one in charge of this, I brought home a 3200G at a fair bargain instead of the 9100F.

You won't see any performance increase because the TDP is way too high for a laptop chassis. In a well cooled system, there will some difference though.

That's not the case. What's happening is that AMD has had to rebuild trust with OEMs and many of those have probably told AMD that they want to see actual systems on sale before they'll make any serious investments.

That has probably happened by now, but now those OEMs need to design, implement, manufacture and set up support for those systems.

Take it as you will, but a senior AMD employee has said that almost all OEMs are in discussions with AMD about developing AMD systems.

What customers think actually has little sway in what many companies do. What they buy does.

What customers think actually has little sway in what many companies do. What they buy does.

Yes, and this is main reason why AMD generally puts out Ryzen desktop chips first, then server chips and laptop chips come much later.

Desktop buyers (excluding those who buy OEM stuff) know much about CPU's. So if AMD CPU offers superior price/performance or something else, it will immediately sell well. We have seen this and currently AMD easily outsells Intel on retail.

Then we have server buyers that know something about CPU's (much less than retail buyers generally) but server contracts are often long term. Still, when talking about supercomputers, if AMD offers good product, it will quickly find it's way into server grade stuff.

Then we have stupid people. Those who buy laptops and/or smartphones/tablets. Those people usually don't know anything more than "device is turned on/off here". No wonder AMD bothers to offer good laptop products since those people have absolutely no clue what they are actually buying. People who think "brand X is best" because it was "best" 20 years ago.

Still, OEM brands are somewhat annoyed by lack of CPU options (and less margins for them) so there is hope. Even among stupid people.

While I do agree with a lot of that despite the cross generalisations, there's one thing you absolutely got wrong.

Buyers of server systems are likely the most knowledgeable. It's often their job and often they are buying in the multi-hundreds of thousand, if not million £/€/$ range. You don't just go by marketing there. No, the reason AMD uptake has been slower there is that, as you said, servers are upgraded on much longer time periods, and any component needs to show that it is reliable (and has long-term support).

While I do agree with a lot of that despite the cross generalisations, there's one thing you absolutely got wrong.

Buyers of server systems are likely the most knowledgeable. It's often their job and often they are buying in the multi-hundreds of thousand, if not million £/€/$ range. You don't just go by marketing there. No, the reason AMD uptake has been slower there is that, as you said, servers are upgraded on much longer time periods, and any component needs to show that it is reliable (and has long-term support).

Problem is: when you are not playing with your OWN money, your interest for things really fast disappear. That's why server buyers generally have pretty poor knowledge. Someone else pays the bill so why should they care? I guarantee I have better CPU knowledge than average server system buyer. Of course there are exceptions but...

To put it this way: you go to restaurant to eat lunch with very limited budget. You surely check all options and how much they cost. Then someone offers to pay your lunch, whatever it costs. Still interested about prices or anything?

Server CPU's very rarely need long term "support". Server runs until it's replaced by another one. Sometimes CPU's are upgraded but not very often. Also main support comes from system provider, not CPU manufacturer. So long term contracts are better (but still very bad) explanation. January 2019 it was confirmed that Cray will deliver Zen3 based supercomputer late 2020. So basically before AMD even have engineering sample Zen3 CPU's available, they were able to clinch deal. So much about that "proven reliability" and such.

I have had no luck finding a decent ryzen laptop in my country. the options are few, so in the end I am forced to go with intel but I wont buy ur "top end" shitty i7s instead I will settle for an i5.

Back