Intel is disabling support for DirectX 12 on 4th-gen Core processors

jsilva

In brief: Those running an Intel 4th-gen Core processor should know that you won't be able to run DirectX 12-based applications starting with the graphics driver version 15.40.44.5107. As it seems, there's a potential security vulnerability that may allow malefactors to escalate privileges on said processors.

Intel 4th-gen Core processors, aka Haswell, released over eight years ago, received a refresh less than a year later. Despite being relatively old, Intel still supports them in legacy mode.

After finding a potential security issue affecting multiple Intel 4th-gen processors, the semiconductor company announced it would disable DirectX 12 API support to mitigate risks, starting with the graphics driver version 15.40.44.5107. The affected processors include most of the Intel 4th-gen Core processor lineup, including fan-favorites like the i7-4790K and the i5-4690K. The full list includes:

• 4th Generation Intel Core processors with Intel Iris Pro Graphics 5200
  • 4th Generation Intel Core processors with Intel Iris Graphics 5100
  • 4th Generation Intel Core processors with Intel HD Graphics 5000/4600/4400/4200
  • Intel Pentium and Celeron processors with Intel HD Graphics based on 4th Gen Intel Core

Those using a dedicated GPU shouldn't worry, but if you want to run DirectX 12-based applications and games using the iGPU of these processors, Intel states you'll have to downgrade to the graphics driver 15.40.42.5063 or older.

All these processors feature iGPUs based on Intel's Gen7 GPU architecture, but it seems the issue resides elsewhere. Some of Intel's 3rd-gen Core CPUs also use iGPUs based on that same architecture, but they're not featured in the list.

Permalink to story.

I'm sure they'll get around to fixing it fairly quickly but this is kind of beyond just teething issues of a new platform and a new OS: this might give pause people thinking "Oh these new CPUs are great for gaming!" to think "Oh...Well AMD isn't *that* far behind and I wouldn't need DDR5 or a 360 AIO cooler to run em"

But well if they patch this inside like a week then maybe not a big deal.

How exactly are they going to disable DirectX 12 API support ?

Why must DX12 be disabled instead of fixing the problem ?
(Why would a patch not work?)
Need to push new hardware ?

Need more info!

Last edited:
So this would include my 4790K. I actually haven’t ever tried to run DX12 anything on the iGPU on board. And when I bought the product DX12 did not exist, that came the following year.

Still, good to see someone up there is looking out for the security on it, it’s 7 years old! Actually if you have a 4770K, that would be 8 years old.

There's somethin' fishy here.

Ivy Bridge CPU's, as poin6ted out by Tom's Hardware, also use the exact same iGPU's as Haswells do, yet there has been no advisory about the very same iGPUs found on Ivy Bridge CPU's.

Sounds like Intel really want to kill Haswell and they are doing everything they can to force "planned obsolescence".

Ofc, for ppl like me who game on a 4770K and a discreet GPU their disabling DX12 on the iGPU makes no difference whatever. I have never even actually used the on-board iGPU of my 4770K.

I'm sure they'll get around to fixing it fairly quickly but this is kind of beyond just teething issues of a new platform and a new OS: this might give pause people thinking "Oh these new CPUs are great for gaming!" to think "Oh...Well AMD isn't *that* far behind and I wouldn't need DDR5 or a 360 AIO cooler to run em"

This is about 4th gen cpu's.

And the "I didn't read the article" award goes to!

There's somethin' fishy here.

Ivy Bridge CPU's, as poin6ted out by Tom's Hardware, also use the exact same iGPU's as Haswells do, yet there has been no advisory about the very same iGPUs found on Ivy Bridge CPU's.

Sounds like Intel really want to kill Haswell and they are doing everything they can to force "planned obsolescence".

Ofc, for ppl like me who game on a 4770K and a discreet GPU their disabling DX12 on the iGPU makes no difference whatever. I have never even actually used the on-board iGPU of my 4770K.

I guess one of two things.
1. No one cares about Ivy Bridge and older, and it's already long obsolete that it probably wouldn't run DX12 anyway or is already considered a security vulnerability since Intel doesn't care about it at this point. Even though my i5-3570K keeps running.
or
2. They added something into 4th gen Core CPU that is the component being exploited.

Either way, given the age of these chips, I wouldn't expect anyone would be gaming on them with a DX12 game and not using a discrete graphics card.

Need more info!
Because it's no longer profitable for Intel to fix it haswell ia already end of sales for years.
By the way, I still use haswell laptop

Because it's no longer profitable for Intel to fix it haswell ia already end of sales for years.
By the way, I still use haswell laptop
I use Sandy Bridge so I can Native Boot DOS 1.0 up to Windows 11 and everything in betwixt, including Chromium, Linux etc

It's even a decent HackinTrash,.....um......I mean.....tosh

I guess one of two things.
1. No one cares about Ivy Bridge and older, and it's already long obsolete that it probably wouldn't run DX12 anyway or is already considered a security vulnerability since Intel doesn't care about it at this point. Even though my i5-3570K keeps running.
or
2. They added something into 4th gen Core CPU that is the component being exploited.

Either way, given the age of these chips, I wouldn't expect anyone would be gaming on them with a DX12 game and not using a discrete graphics card.
Ivy here and running great

Forza 5 with no issues, re village, ac valhalla just to say something

Ivy here and running great

Forza 5 with no issues, re village, ac valhalla just to say something
Being a GPU dependent matter, this makes sense if you're using a dedicated GPU on an Ivy Bridge CPU. You wouldn't be running DX12 otherwise.

DX12, and Vulkan, works on even Core 2 or lower without issue, as the actual support comes down to the GPU being used.

Here, just the integrated DX12 support within specifically Haswell chips is being disabled via driver changes. Only setups running solitary, integrated, Haswell graphics will be affected; hybrid systems, assuming a capable GPU, either won't have their setups change or the user will shift the app to run on their AMD/nV chip. Dedicated GPU setups have zero changes.

Need more info!
Not needed. 4th gen not worth the time or the money for how many are actually out in the wild compared to everything else. You can't support everything forever and sacrifices have to be made. People upgrade when they have the want or need. If they want or need DX12 on an iGPU, then it's that time.

If the CPU was sold with DX12 support. It should not be taken away. With that said I agree with others here. Who would need DX12 on an IGP? Anyone needing DX12 should get a system with a dedicated card.

And before anyone mentions portability. Portability has so many limitations. You are lucky if you can play at all. You are definitely not playing long before charging. So in essence it is not really portable if you are leashed to a wall. And good luck with cooling the machine. DX12 support would be the least of your concerns.

Back