Intel launches new CPU replacement plan for hardcore overclockers

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Although it's safer than ever to overclock your hardware, disaster can and does strike. Manufacturers can't guarantee their products will withstand your abuse and, in fact, activities such as overclocking are usually discouraged. Generally, you void your warranty by running your hardware beyond its intended specifications. The three-year warranty covering Intel's processors is no different, but the company has launched an initiative aiming to protect thrill-seeking enthusiasts from the pricey mishap of frying their chips.

Called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan, the extended coverage grants you a free replacement if you push your CPU too hard. The pilot service has kicked off today via four resellers: CyberPower, Scan Computers, Altech Computers as well as Canada Computers and Electronics. The service is offered exclusively for K, X and LGA2011-socketed boxed processors with prices varying depending on the part. It'll cost $20 to back the i5-2500K, $25 for the i7-2600K and 2700K, and $35 for the i7-3920K and 3960X.

Of note, eligible chips are only covered for one replacement and the failure must occur during its three-year warranty. In other words, if your CPU is ruined four years after its purchase or if you fry your replacement part, Intel won't help you out. Also, you can't rebuy the plan for your replacement chip, nor can you purchase several plans for a new processor. As noted, this is only a "pilot" program that will be available for six months, after which Intel will likely review its performance and act accordingly.

"The enthusiast community is a critical market segment for Intel and, as such, when the opportunity arises to try out a service or otherwise address the community's particular needs, we endeavor to do so where practicable," Intel said. "If [your chip] fails under normal usage, we will replace it under the standard warranty; if it fails while running outside of Intel's specifications, we will replace it under the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. So what we are saying is this: Go ahead and push it, we've got your back."

Permalink to story.

awww, nothing for the 980x. I've been itching to push it but that only happens when I'm bored enough.

Price seems to be very reasonable for a service that seems unbelievable. I can overclock the hell out of my first processor with peace of mind. If it pops, I get my replacement and I just have to go back to being very careful.

just goes to show how much profit per chip they make to be able to replace one so cheaply

Let's just hope this isn't abused by *****s presuming this is licence to push their chips to destruction.

Sounds like you're a glass-half-empty kinda guy, Guest. In my opinion, it shows how much faith the company has in its products. It must realize so few overclocked processors will fail during the warranty period that it can replace fried parts for a few bucks and still make a profit.

I think you're looking at it completely wrong. $20 to replace a cpu that you accidentally fried by overclocking is such a good deal that I dont know anyone who wouldn't buy that protection. With that in mind how many chips end up fried? I'm gonna guess it's less than 5% and that's being very generous I think. They're either gonna make a decent profit and look good doing it or make a great profit and look good doing it.

I fried a 920 for the heck of it kind of... I was able to run it at 4.7 ghz @1.5volts. Primed it for 6 and a half days. I wish they had this replacement program then, but then again...this is kind of exploiting the system. Unless they become like insurance companies and increase your premium everytime something happens. I only did it because my 980 was already in the mail.

Only ever (sort of) fried one CPU in the modern era (X6800), but nice to know that the option is there if the user want's to take advantage of it. Now, if they include CPU lapping that'd be icing on the cake.

/awaits AMD unveiling their "Performance Tuning Support Plan" for FX at the low-low-low price of $19.98

I just wonder how they can tell. I think I remember some salesman telling me the pins look more burned on a chip run past its specs.

seems like a great idea, i dont oc but when i get out of college and have extra cash this is a very nice safety net

unbelievable how intel is making money, from thin air ....25$ is almost 10 % from cpu price,
this thing is like those upgradable cpus via software if you remember

I did not think it possible to tell/prove what a chip died from?

Same warranty period equals waste of money to me....

Back