Intel to AMD - BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm switching a hard drive between an Intel board to an AMD board, and when booting up, I get a BSOD.

I tried:
chkdsk
fixboot
fixmbr

Nothing works so far.
I'm using Windows XP.
I'm thinking the problem lies from going from an Intel to AMD CPU.

Anybody got a possible solution for this ?

Thanks.

You cannot switch drives to different hardware, without reinstalling Windows XP or at least using your Windows XP CD to run an update. Windows XP is designed to freeze or fail when there is any hardware change other than memory.

Hmm, if this is true, and I decided to change my video card for example, windows XP would freeze or fail rather than detecting a new video card and install the drivers for it.
I think the problem is related to the HAL (Hardware Abstration Layer) being set to Intel. You talk about "updating" or reparing windows XP. That's what I need to do, but I don't how to proceed to change the HAL.

We have never seen ned to Change the HAL in 7000 computers... and we have repaired most of them.
You have something wrong or incomplete in your hardware and software.

Thanks Raybay.
I agree, I think the problem lies within the hardware. I can install Windows XP from scratch, that's not a problem. The problem is switching the hard drive from one hardware to the other.
To resolve my HAL issue, I had to rename c:\windows\system32\drivers\intelppm.sys and then run a "repair install" from the win xp cd. It was still blue screening (different blue screen 0x7000000b) because of driver compatibility issues. This time though, I could get to safe mode, but I'm then getting the error "setup cannot complete in safe mode" and my only option is too click ok, which then reboots my machine and loops back to the same problem.

So I'm reinstalling win xp. Unless you have an idea to resolve the "setup cannot complete in safe mode" message...

Thanks for tha help.
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back