Intel to launch 64-bit Prescotts August 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
According to undisclosed sources, Intel should be planning to ship the first 64-bit capable Pentium 4s next August 1st, just about a month after it was set that 64-bit Xeons would be officially launched.

The solution to the conundrum is simple: Intel is enabling 64-bit processing in the Pentium 4 chips it sells into the single-processor workstation market, and they're unlikely to be offered in single, boxed quantities. We understand that the 64-bit P4s will be priced much the same as current desktop-oriented P4s at comparable clock speeds.

Guess what, Intel will have 64-bit CPUs out there before Windows optimized for 64-bit processors arrives, or is it the other way around?

Hey this sounds cool. it will be good competition for AMD who happen to have the 64Bit market all to themselves at the moment. "No Execute" will also have a large bearing on sales and compatibility. hopefully Microsoft pull through on there end. will they have the new codes?. eg. 741 or something like that. like on the Intel roadmaps. The prices of the chip also have crippled intel in the past although they still dominate the market today. Will they follow Amd's example and lower prices to be competitive?. and at a rough estimation what Mhz would they be at? eg. single 3Ghz or dual core 1.5Ghz? something to do with the heat and power, i think Intel do that but i am not sure(i think it is only mobile processors) oh well nice to see Intel Finally releasing something to combat the 64Bit wave that has been exploding these last few months. just my $0.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back