Intel's Compute Stick is a $119 desktop PC barely bigger than a thumb drive

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Recap: Intel has a desktop PC it wants to sell you that you can fit in your pocket. It is called the Compute Stick (CS125). It runs Windows 10 and retails for under $120.

The CS125 sports a quad-core Intel Atom X5-Z8300 processor clocked at 1.44GHz (burst up to 1.84GHz) and Intel HD graphics. It has 2GB DDR3L 1600MHz soldered down single-channel memory running Windows 10. It is equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 and integrated 802.11ac. Surprisingly, even with all that hardware, Intel managed to pack in two USB ports (one 3.0, one 2.0).

The Compute Stick can plug into any monitor with an HDMI port, making it ideal for traveling or just plugging into a desktop monitor for a clutter-free workspace. It comes with either 32 or 64GB of onboard storage, but also has an SD slot for easy expansion.

Now obviously this is not going to replace your high-end workstation or your gaming rig, but it is great for light work, browsing the internet, video streaming, and more. If you have kids that are about to be old enough for their own computer, it would make a great, hassle-free and cheap alternative for a homework computer.

The Compute Stick has been around for a while, but the price has come down over time. It originally launched in 2016 for around $160. Last year around this time Zotac announced its Zbox PI220 and PI221. These were virtually identical in terms of specs, but Zotac sacrificed the USB 2.0 port for a 10/100 Ethernet jack.

Today, Zotac’s tiny PC (Zbox PI223) is going for around $170 ($163 on Newegg), while Intel’s Compute Stick is available from Amazon for $119. Pair it up with your choice of monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and you have a great light-weight alternative to a tower for only a few hundred bucks.

Permalink to story.

Been using an Atom X7 based GPD Win handheld for 2 years now, I have to say I am really impressed with the performance Atom X's can deliver with so little power... , too bad Intel seems to abandoned this sector for the last couple of years...

I will say, it doesn't take a whole heck of a lot of erotica, to burn through 64 GB of storage, let alone 32 gigs. :eek::D

You still need a monitor/keyboard/mouse, so it’s a bit disingenuous to say it’s “portable” unless you’re lugging those around too... you can get a cheap laptop for a bit more which will include all 3....and it will have a lot more storage :)

It would be more universal if instead of using HDMI, it used VGA or DVI as a video connector. I'm pretty sure the majority of monitors out in the world are still those without HDMI

It will hook up to any TV these days. Surely you can pair your smartphone to it for a makeshift keyboard and mouse.

I will say, it doesn't take a whole heck of a lot of erotica, to burn through 64 GB of storage, let alone 32 gigs. :eek::D
that's what the microSD slot is for, expanding your storage if you know what I mean. ;)

It would be more universal if instead of using HDMI, it used VGA or DVI as a video connector. I'm pretty sure the majority of monitors out in the world are still those without HDMI
My guess is that HDMI was chosen (among other reasons) probably because it is physically smaller than VGA for one... and DVI is slowly going the way of the dodo, largely deprecated by HDMI and Display Port.

Great, but you're going to have to carry some form of keyboard and mouse around too at least plus an external hard disk

that's what the microSD slot is for, expanding your storage if you know what I mean. ;).
My son was a big fan of the apple Mini, and as Mr. Surprise has pointed out, you still had junk all over the desk, despite the dainty profile of the shiny white sandwich box.

So yes, I'm well aware the micro SD card slot offers expansion potential, but I think I'm going to hold on to my bulky desktop chock full of multi terrabyte spinners, with an SSD to hurry the whole mess along. (If you know what I mean).

A product like this "Computer Stick", is actually more of a negative commentary on the state of computer addiction today, than it is a viable stand alone device.

You know, your hands start to shake, and you absolutely positively, have to get to your Twitter account, because you mental health verily depends on who said what, and when. (*)

(*) So there's no misunderstanding, that is the "royal and impersonal you"

Last edited:
You still need a monitor/keyboard/mouse, so it’s a bit disingenuous to say it’s “portable” unless you’re lugging those around too... you can get a cheap laptop for a bit more which will include all 3....and it will have a lot more storage :)

Install an app on your phone and you no longer need that ;) Obviously initially you would I guess but after that, nope. Less hassle than RPI.

Install an app on your phone and you no longer need that ;) Obviously initially you would I guess but after that, nope. Less hassle than RPI.
Oh sh!t, I better get myself a mobile phone, if I ever expect to have one of these trinkets. Oops, I meant "device".

OTOH, this sounds like the rationale / absurdity where you need to carry an iPhone, if you want your iWatch to be fully functional.

You can have one, you're entitled to it. But won't do you any good. You'll be separated from it, and forced to stay in a different barracks.
Who does that? Clinton, the ninth circuit court, Obama? Yep. It's the law BABY! Trump is a great man leading the US out of the dark ages! Some call him the new daVinci :)

Oh sh!t, I better get myself a mobile phone, if I ever expect to have one of these trinkets. Oops, I meant "device".

OTOH, this sounds like the rationale / absurdity where you need to carry an iPhone, if you want your iWatch to be fully functional.

Convenience is everything, I much rather control these tiny PCs with remote connections or mobile phone than keyboard/mice.

Oh please let that portable compute stick start getting bent accidently.
By moving it droping it by accident, runaway raging small kids that bump into things alot.
There goes your tiny 120.00 computer setup, if you have to do alot of business travel and need a quick home base to connect into.
Yeah that would be plausible. =/

Convenience is everything, I much rather control these tiny PCs with remote connections or mobile phone than keyboard/mice.
Be that as it may, once you drop the phone and break the screen you're using as a monitor, (and many, many, people do), you're sh!t outta luck with the damned compute stick anyway.

Be that as it may, once you drop the phone and break the screen you're using as a monitor, (and many, many, people do), you're sh!t outta luck with the damned compute stick anyway.

No plug the compute stick into the TV/Monitor and use that as output, using phone as input. That is what I do with RPI, over wifi, this way no keyboard/mice is plugged into RPI. Turns my parents old TV into a "smart-TV". We are talking a rare scenario and slight inconvenience when it does happen (ie phone being totalled).

Once you’re using a mobile phone.... why not just use that?!? No need for the stick any more...

Turning an older TV model into a "smart-TV" and many more other use cases where you rarely touch the RPI/computer stick as its running as a "remote" device / "server".

Back