Intel's Core i7-2700K arrives next month for $330-$350

Jos

Staff

More rumors are surfacing regarding the Intel Core i7 2700K processor that's expected to debut in the coming weeks. Contrary to earlier reports claiming it would be introduced at the same $317 price point as the current Sandy Bridge flagship, the Core i7 2600K, it appears that Intel won't be reshuffling its price structure and instead will release the new chip at a higher price point in the range of $330 to $350.

In other words, the i7-2700K's arrival may not make the i7-2600K or any of the other Sandy Bridge offerings any cheaper. The other way we could look at it: Intel is not feeling a lot of pressure from AMD's upcoming FX-series processors, which will reportedly top out at around $245-$260 for the eight-core FX-8150 model.

The Core i7-2700K will have a base clock of 3.5GHz, up 100MHz from the 2600K, but will be otherwise identical to its predecessor. That means it would also sport four cores, Hyper-Threading support, 8MB L3 cache, and a 95W TDP. VR-Zone claims the 2700K will be a better overclocker than the 2600K as "Intel is apparently cherry picking the best of the best of its Sandy Bridge cores" for the new processor.

The site's sources also mentioned October 24 as the likely launch date for the Core i7-2700K. Meanwhile, the latest rumors say AMD is readying the FX Series for a launch a bit earlier on October 12, with the six-core FX-6100 priced at just $175, while the eight core FX-8120 and FX-8150 would cost around $205 and $245 each.

Permalink to story.

Guest said:
hopefully BD does better than this
I agree, Intel are having a laugh. $330-350? Hmm, so you're saying i could pay $80-100 more for my processor, and it will be only marginally better? Well then.

I've been using AMD for a couple years now, and I'm ready to switch back to Intel. AMD just hasn't been able to compete, and unfortunately I don't think their new architecture will be able to stand up against Intel either.

"Intel is apparently cherry picking the best of the best of its Sandy Bridge cores" ,yeah right....I'm calling a boat load of BS!

I don't know, maybe the 2700k is better than the fx, but why do you need that much extra power?, with eight cores at $200, the fx looks excellent, even if you think in gaming or convert videos.
If you do video editing for living or you are gamming with multiple monitors maybe it is worth it.

yea intel is charging too much and 70$ does make a difference in todays economy so hopefully

I don't know, maybe the 2700k is better than the fx, but why do you need that much extra power?

The Toyota Prius might be a popular car, but I would much rather sit behind the wheel of a Mercedes-Benz.

+1 Wendig0
Prius is one ugly beast, personally I'd rather be behind the wheel of a SLS ;). And to Guest #3, some times less is more, so more cores on AMD's BD may not mean much in real world anyway.

Hankhendrix said:
Guest said:
hopefully BD does better than this
I agree, Intel are having a laugh. $330-350? Hmm, so you're saying i could pay $80-100 more for my processor, and it will be only marginally better? Well then.

*When* AMD releases these chips, we'll see the benchmarks of retail products, and the price vs performance of both sides will become very apparent.

What's the point of getting so worked up about something that can be quantitatively determined?

prius is cool! its future...and amd is better at the same money.
intel is like apple, expensive crap, only at extreme is better(intel).

Bulldozer lost, reviews seen so far they have a hard time competing with their own chips let alone intels.

$US 331 is the apparent price. A couple of days ago I would have said this would possibly mean that this would compress 2600 and 2600K pricing. Fairly unlikely in light of current events.

D2 rev/stepping ( same as 2500K/2600K )

Back