Internet bandwidth problem

ViperCDX

Hi,I have subscribed with my internet provider for a 4 mbps plan ,but when I download youtube vids I see the download speed approx 180-210 KBps --- 1.6 mbps.This is further proved by speedtest.net
When I lodged a complaint I was assured that I was indeed enjoying a 4 mbps plan and that it was "upto 4 mbps" which means the speed can be as low as 2 mbps
But I have never experienced speeds in excess of 2mbps!!
Is there any way to verify that I am on a 2 mbps bandwidth or a 4 mbps bandwidth?
Thanks

What type of connection is it (DSL / Cable / Fiber Optic)? Do you have a router hooked up to your internet to provide access to multiple devices or is it directly connected to just one computer? If you do have multiple devices, how many do you have and how do you have them connected (wired / wireless)?

Speedtest.net to your closes server is a good indicator. Check your documentation from ISP to see if they specify a minimum speed percentage. Usually they don't and you're stuck with what you're given.

What type of connection is it (DSL / Cable / Fiber Optic)? Do you have a router hooked up to your internet to provide access to multiple devices or is it directly connected to just one computer? If you do have multiple devices, how many do you have and how do you have them connected (wired / wireless)?
I guess DSL.I have a modem ,no router -it connects to only 1 computer!

Speedtest.net to your closes server is a good indicator. Check your documentation from ISP to see if they specify a minimum speed percentage. Usually they don't and you're stuck with what you're given.

No they dont :(
Damn,its cheating...then why do they say "upto 4 mbps" when not even once my speed exceeds 2mbps...they could just say "upto 10 tbps" !!

ADSL, can be made to get the max but you would need to do some rewiring on your end. If you live in tall level apartment building you can forget it. If you had a house then you could make some mods to existing setup. This will yield you about 10 mbps more.

I had that ADSL stuff got rid of it gone with D3 Ubee Cable Modem has 1 Gbps port on the back (purchased this and don't have to rent one from Cable Company) today I get 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. But I've tweak the outside box to get such speeds. They told me I could only get 105 mbps down and 20 mbps up. They're wrong!

ADSL, can be made to get the max but you would need to do some rewiring on your end. If you live in tall level apartment building you can forget it. If you had a house then you could make some mods to existing setup. This will yield you about 10 mbps more.

I had that ADSL stuff got rid of it gone with D3 Ubee Cable Modem has 1 Gbps port on the back (purchased this and don't have to rent one from Cable Company) today I get 132 mbps down and 22 mbps up. But I've tweak the outside box to get such speeds. They told me I could only get 105 mbps down and 20 mbps up. They're wrong!

I have absolutely no idea what you said !
I live in a 3 storey building
What should I do? (easy terms please) :)

Okay you tell me what you have in equipment? Are you in the USA/Canada or in other country. Each part of the world has different network gear and setup.

Now you live in a 3-story building are you on the top floor, second or first floor?
Is everyone in this building using the same internet? What type of internet is this? ADSL, Cable or WiFi Sharing?

I have a modem...I live in india
on the top floor! I guess everyone uses the same internet provider(BSNL) but has their separate modems
how do I know which type of internet do I have? its not cable or wifi!

Call them up or look at the modem should say what it is. Look how it's connected too. Can you take some pictures to show all us here. I would like to see how they set home internet up in your country?

Also looks like everyone on the same system, or you could knock on the doors an ask them what they have for internet? This way you can see how their internet is working for them.

DSC_0004.jpgDSC_0005.jpgDSC_0006.jpg DSC_0007.jpg
image 1- red light is the connector for modem
2- modem
3 nd 4- the cable that goes from the modem to my mother board
hope this helps!
they wont tell us,it took me 4 days to register a complaint and receive an answer from them!

Attachments

• DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    948.2 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for pictures! Now I see what you have also check out the BSNL = Telephone Company in India. So you have ADSL/DSL services through your BSNL modem box has a grey cord connected to it. The lines for phone they come into the building from lines outside or is there some sort of basement there?

Are you using any digital filters on that line for the phones to work with ADSL/DSL there? They look like dongles. Technically you really only need one, but here USA they made us use one for each phone. Where one central one could have been use at the NID (network interface device) box. Each house or apartment building has one or more or one for each apartment. This might be work you don't want to tackle though.

When I had ADSL here this is what I did..
[SIZE=25px]DSL Setup for Speedboost[/SIZE][SIZE=25px]
dsl.jpg

[LEFT]The above is what I had to do when I had DSL 2002 to 2006. I got two 4 wire-conduit telephone boxes one was use to tap into the main line inside the house. (Basement) using cat 5 or 5e patch cable cord then the other end would go to the second box.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]That second box is where you would use the phone line they give you with the dsl modem. I never bother with that slow crap regular phone cable, so I got ultra phone line that looks like Ethernet cable cat 3 but you can get cat 5e which is a special type. That would go from the second box to modem.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]The point here is that you want to get the best strongest signal and by-pass the filters in the house. This worked for me. Phone company couldn't figure out how my signal was so strong to dsl modem.[/LEFT]
Link: https://www.techspot.com/gallery/member-galleries/p2258-dsl-setup-for-speedboo.html[/size]

The lines for phone come from outside the house,there is a post here! the post gets the lines from BSNL and distributes to the respective houses!
What u said seems well beyond my means!
I dont know if we are allowed to tamper with their lines :(

No tampering with the lines your basically redirecting what comes in before it hits any digital filters.

So line comes in...................."you tap here" (line continues)...........

This is the only way to get a good run to your modem, but if you have a lot in your building on the same system and if they did a Jerry rig (rat nest of wires) of the lines then not much you can do with it..

Back