Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 now available for download

Shawn Knight

Staff member

internet explorer arrives windows microsoft windows 7 browser web browser internet explorer 11 ie 11

Microsoft is cognizant of the fact that not everyone is ready for the touch-based environment that Windows 8 / 8.1 affords which is evident by recent browser market share statistics. Redmond isn’t leaving those on Windows 7 to be forgotten about just yet as they have made Internet Explorer 11 available for download starting today.

It’s not a huge surprise to see Microsoft drop a version of IE11 for Windows 7. A developer preview of the software for Win 7 was pushed out in late July followed by a more solid consumer preview in mid-September. It’s been available for Windows 8.1 users for the past few weeks now.

Roger Capriotti, Microsoft's senior director of marketing for Internet Explorer, said the engineering team has worked to make every subsequent version of IE faster than its predecessor. This includes things like tapping into hardware acceleration by using the GPU to speed up the browser and boosting the performance of the Javascript engine.

Microsoft claims real-world websites will load up to nine percent faster than they did on IE10 and up to 30 percent faster than on competing browsers.

But it’s not all about performance with IE11 as security has been fortified as well. A recent study from NSS Labs found that IE blocked 92 percent of phishing and malware attacks compared to just 71 percent from Chrome. Safari and Firefox scored poorly at 37 percent and 35 percent, respectively.

You can download a copy of Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 by clicking here.

Permalink to story.

IE11 has been buggy for me in 8.1. BF4 plugins don't work and I have the "click back twice" problem when searching with Google.

Please stop the being a Microsoft propaganda puppet and please stop trying to brainwash knowledgeable people into thinking everything Microsoft is the Next Big Thing. It's not. Tech sites swoon and jump through the hoops proclaiming that crap is in fact gold, but the all the negative responses in every site comments section reveal Windows for what it has become.

Please stop the being a Microsoft propaganda puppet and please stop trying to brainwash knowledgeable people into thinking everything Microsoft is the Next Big Thing. It's not. Tech sites swoon and jump through the hoops proclaiming that crap is in fact gold, but the all the negative responses in every site comments section reveal Windows for what it has become.

What are you talking about? It's an article with information. Where's the brainwashing? If you don't like the site, don't read it.

"A recent study from NSS Labs found that IE blocked 92 percent of phishing and malware attacks compared to just 71 percent from Chrome. Safari and Firefox scored poorly at 37 percent and 35 percent, respectively."

LOL!! Chrome and FF don't even HAVE true anti-phishing measures built in. Those numbers came directly from someone's rear end.

IE 11 on Win 8.1 has several issues. Various sites and applications don't work as they should or hang the browser; requiring Task Manager - End Task to get out of.

I recommend people stick with IE 10 or use Firefox or Chrome.

LOL!! Chrome and FF don't even HAVE true anti-phishing measures built in. Those numbers came directly from someone's rear end.

It might not be "true", as in an executable that remains resident in your computer's memory, but it's effective anti phishing security. You might be surprised that Google does have an online security team with the specific job of trying to safeguard the browsing experience. http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/ I believe that all browsers compile a list of potentially unsafe websites and compare the URL to the list when you visit a page. How well that works is of some concern. I totally agree with you in that Microsoft's disparity from the competition does sound like manufactured numbers tho. They're either high in false positives or using test data in Bing's search results favor.

"Microsoft is cognizant of the fact that" -

I like that part of the article. A more accurate statement might have been that "not everyone is ready for the touch-based environment that Windows 8 / 8.1 affords - on a desktop computer".

It makes sense to use a swipe interface on a mobile device like a cellphone. It also makes sense to use a swipe/touch interface on a tablet. On a laptop I would say no for me personally it does not make sense but since a laptop is a portable device it's up to the user.. Any environment where you will predominantly be using a keyboard or a mouse on a non-portable computer, there is no reason for touch. On a desktop, it should be an accessory, waiting in the shadows unseen, until the very rare, odd, circumstance arises at which time it might be used.

Microsoft is cognizant? LOL. If verbal assaults could kill they'd be burning in hell right now.

I wonder why Microsoft isn't taking the "**** YOU Windows 7 users" approach with their browser? Oh, because there is browser competition but no operating system competition maybe?

The problem with MS Explorer is that new versions are frequently not backward compatible with certain sites and applications. For example my Wife had to sign up to her companies on line site. Unfortunately she was unable to log on as the site only worked with version 9 and the laptop had version 10!

Once you update you cannot go back or load different versions of MSE. Ironically she found Chrome worked just fine.

The last time I used Internet Explorer, I got SO MUCH spyware and adware on my system it was ridiculous. When I switched to Firefox it all went away. I'll NEVER be convinced that IE is more secure when my system has been clean for many years since I stopped using IE. I smell more propaganda.

I'll stick with Firefox and Windows 7.

The problem with MS Explorer is that new versions are frequently not backward compatible with certain sites and applications. For example my Wife had to sign up to her companies on line site. Unfortunately she was unable to log on as the site only worked with version 9 and the laptop had version 10!

Once you update you cannot go back or load different versions of MSE. Ironically she found Chrome worked just fine.

I had the same problem. I went to install some software that actually required a certain version of Internet Explorer and refused to install without it. I am basically screwed because of this stupidity. I'll stick to Firefox.

"I had the same problem. I went to install some software that actually required a certain version of Internet Explorer and refused to install without it. I am basically screwed because of this stupidity. "

Corporate has this issue at heart, and I believe it is the reason MS maintains a yearly cadence to IE updates.

Having said that, I've been using IE11 PR and just upgraded to final. Didn't faced any untoward issues before, hopefully the final release will not put out any surprises.

Back