Internet keeps disconnecting randomly

Hammyobob

Hi there!

I recently have come across an issue where my internet randomly disconnects, mostly while on Skype or downloading video games and cannot figure out the issue at all. It usually downloads fine for about 1 minute and then disconnects completely. 0kbps and internet drops on my computer alone.

I'm kinda new to tech forums so if you guys need any information let me know.

Hi, I had this problem a few years ago, which was fixed by buying a new USB wireless dongle.
But if you are using wireless connection to the router, try an ethercable instead and see if the same thing happens.
Are you using a laptop? If so it could be faulty wireless 802.11 board.
If you are using a USB wireless adapter, it could that the pc is turning off the power to the USB ports to 'save power', that can be changed if required.

Hi there Mike! I am using a wireless connection on a laptop, the problem started occuring after I had reinstalled the Windows 7 OS due to a harddrive error. After re-installing it, I had sworn I installed everything correctly but the computer was running extremely slow and the internet kept dropping like no other. Took it to a friend shortly after who works with computers and he did the exact same thing I had done but the computer was running a ton better and the internet still kept dropping out.

Usually it only happens while downloading games from steam, updates on games, or any large files from the internet. Gets about 100 mbs in and then completely drops out, sometimes even whilst on Skype it will drop out while in the conversation and I will have to disconnect & reconnect which instantly brings the internet back on.
When plugging in through an ethernet cable, the internet still drops while on Skype and downloading.
I have made sure that the drivers don't disconnect to save power, as I thought that was initially the problem. Also had the modem and router replaced with a new one, just as a precaution. Any ideas?

Sounds as if you've tried most things already.
There are a few issues being reported about Skype not installing properly for some users, that seems to be to do with the .net framework(s) missing and failed updates.
You might have a look at your list of updates to see if you are up to date, especially as you have reinstalled the Win7 OS.
e.g. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653
also; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851
Also would be worthwhile running the MS system file checker, it's built-in and can only do good if any Windows core files are damaged.
That's 'Start +X' then 'A' then 'yes'.
In the DOS dialogue, sfc /scannow (note there is a space after sfc)
Hope you get better D/L results shortly.

Last edited:
Actually, I haven't tried doing sfc /scannow. Usually I do check for corrupted files, but I guess it slipped my mind. I'll check it as soon as one of my best bros leaves my house, he's currently residing in my bedroom, sick, where my laptop currently is. I'll also have to check up on the updates as that could very well be the issue.

Skype.. is just a weird issue, It can work perfectly for a couple of hours some days and then others it will just randomly drop every 10 minutes. Thanks for your help Mike! I'll be sure to do these as soon as I feasibly can. :)

The sfc /scannow did come up with a few corrupted files in which it promptly fixed them, I have all of the .net frameworks up to their latest update as was before. Unfortunately the internet still goes down, cannot even download an update for Dota 2 without it disconnecting at least 10 times :( and the update is only 377 megabytes.

Hi, I have often used this program;
http://drivereasy.com/
(Scroll right down this page to the free version link.)
It will scan and tell you if there are any drivers missing.
You can use this free version to download the files if any are missing, it's v. slow, but it is the free version.
I use this to find out the info of what I need to search for, it's worked well for me many times over several years.
As chip igmo (#7) has said, the issue may be one of your chipset drivers is not installed yet.

Last edited:
I have installed both Wlan and Lan drivers as I had went to the website to install the drivers. I will most definitely go to Drivereasy and make sure they're all installed as soon as I possibly can. I'll keep you guys both informed though :) also thank you!

Actually, I am terribly mistaken as the drivers were out of date. The dell driver page doesn't even have the updated versions on there. I did install Driver easy and used it, which all of my drivers were out of datel. Thanks so much guys!

[LEFT]Sorry guys for bumping such an old thread, even though its only 3 weeks since the last post date I recently noticed that the original threat is still happening. For a good bit after I reupdated all of the drivers, the internet was doing great and that everything was going fine. Although, I hadn't been downloading anything game-wise since the initial incident.

Recently, my boss and a couple of my coworkers started playing World of Warcraft, and I decided to pick back up on it. Alas, after getting up to a couple of megabytes per second/minute, the internet started going down. (Notice: I had upgraded router and modem after said incident, maybe thinking it was either of them.. Also, none of the other computers still go down while downloading, nor does my friend's Ps4 when he brings it over, nor the various tablets in the house.) I went back onto Driver Easy and checked for any outdated drivers, which it promptly stated that there were no out of dates and that everything checked out fine.

It's rather annoying trying to constantly restart-disconnect the internet in order to even get the download to continue. I will post pictures here in a moment for you guys to grasp what I am saying, if you would like to take a look at them. It seems to peak out around 7.15 Mbps, and then suddenly drops without a trace..

BX1f7Il.jpg
[/LEFT]
[CENTER]
FhGH4bY.png
[/CENTER]
Any ideas guys? Also, thank you for all your help <3

Does this same 'cut off' happen with any browser?
Any chance that you have the web cache set at a low capacity?
Might be worth trying a few adjustments, so in Firefox,
Tools/ Options / Advanced tab /network tab
Untick the 'Override automatic cache management'.

Unfortunately Mike, the internet doesn't cut off while browsing things on the web. Only while downloading (Ie game updates, patches, map packs, game downloads etc)

A. download the latest wifi driver pack. launch/install it in compatibility mode for windows 7 (and sp1) and see if the intermittent wifi problem disappears.
or
b. do you have an extra usb wifi dongle that you can use? if yes, turn off your current wifi device, then install the driver extra usb wifi dongle and then insert the usb wifi dongle afterwards. this is to rule out defective wifi device.

I was going to suggest using ethernet cable to rule out the wifi adpter, but think you have tried that already.
One thing that would show any data transfer problems would be something like;
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/awatch.html
You would see if your setup is dropping data due to a settings problem.

Update the router firmware, then set the MTU in the router to 1492. This will avoid packet fragmentation and thus stop reassembly.

Had similar problem after replacing router . Turned out one of the filters was faulty . Noticed the computer disconnecting from internet while my wife was using the telephone. Now sorted computer running as new !

Back