Internet keeps dropping

ken smith

My internet is over our tv cable but not provided by same. Problem: Internet disconnects about once a week and I have to turn off modem and router for 5 minutes, then on again which fixes problem.
Details: Windows 10/64 bit. Chrome browser. Modem is a Thomson DCM476 provided by ISP and router is TP-link C2600 which we own. When checking my internet connections I often see "myname24" and "myname5". Usually connected to 24.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Btw: look for new firmware for the TP-Link, as the frequent drop can be related to what's known as a Release/Renew cycle done by all ISPs. The release works but fails to properly renew seamlessly.

In the TP-link router, go to the WAN settings and set the MTU to 1492. This will avoid packet fragmentation and thus avoid buffer overflow and improve performance too.

here's the spec sheet for the TP-Link
https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-c2600/#specifications

The myname24 is your 2.4Ghz band while the myname5 is the 5Ghz.
I would connect any wired device to myname5 and all mobile devices to myname24.
Thanks for the quick reply. will check out link above. I have limited k ow-how and do not know how to change to 5GhZ. right now, when I click on the internet access icon in task bar, the 5GhZ is not shown; onlyi the 2.4. A few minutes ago, the 5 was present.

My BAD :( A wired connection is neither 2.4 nor 5g
The only way to access either SSID is via the Wireless connection.

Don't really know how to do this. I would like to try the 5G but sure don't know how to get into the router to change.

Back