IP Address Conflict

I'm getting kicked off line and having it say no network in rang to connect to and having a [Network Error] box pop up that says "another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer." what do I do?

Last edited:
@AustinDavis @cliffordcooley I've N E V E R seen dhcp assign duplicate addresses. As a programmer, it' just a few lines of code to create a list of InUse vs Available addresses on the subnet. Human error tracking that would be highly error prone AND so is manual configuration.

If it ever did so, IMO that would be induced by attempting a manual configuration.

I have several servers and they need "fixed" addresses, but NOT via manual configuration! Routers have the Address Reservation list where you tell it to have DHCP use a specific address for a given MAC (that's the NIC or WiFi internal ID).

My suggestion is to delete ALL manual addresses and let DHCP manage your network.

My suggestion is to delete ALL manual addresses and let DHCP manage your network.
If I did that then I would get the duplication. And it is not as simple as suggesting a specific router is the cause. Because I've received the error across several routers. As long as I allot a range for the DHCP server to assign new IPs that are not configured statically, I've been fine.

If I did that then I would get the duplication. And it is not as simple as suggesting a specific router is the cause. Because I've received the error across several routers. As long as I allot a range for the DHCP server to assign new IPs that are not configured statically, I've been fine.
IMO, that occurs NOT due to any router but IP configurations inserted directly into the NIC settings which is always a mistake newbies make.

IMO, that occurs NOT due to any router but IP configurations inserted directly into the NIC settings which is always a mistake newbies make.
So you are telling me I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm here to help someone else. I'm not here to argue with you, but I'm not going to change what I said all because you don't believe it happens.

No, you're no newbe and have lots of experience. I reported MY experience and how easy it is to make mistakes. I didn't say it does not happen -- just that it's easy to make mistakes. I'm sensitive to IP configurations as I'm on a laptop and I can't make settings at home that preempt traveling and connecting elsewhere.

The suggestion of using Address Reservation instead of hard coded static addresses allows the router to perform at its best and helps avoid errors.

No, you're no newbe and have lots of experience. I reported MY experience and how easy it is to make mistakes. I didn't say it does not happen -- just that it's easy to make mistakes.
OK - I can go along with that. For a bit it looked as if you were contradicting my comment, and I didn't understand why.

This occurs when two computers on the same LAN network end up with the same IP address. When this occurs, both computers end up not being able to connect to network resources or perform other network operations.

Back