IP Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this computer from a friend, fixed it up got it running, but can not release the old IP. I use Comcast(cable) have tried both wired and wireless. I bought a ethernet card, not entirelt sure that one on motherboard was functioning correctly, neither will allow me to release IP and aquire correct one. Comcast uses a dynamic IP, I have two other computers right next to this one both online,(so not the router). DHCP is enabled, release/renew do not work. I have turned off firewall. What is this Winsoc? Help

disconnect from the internet (or your router).
get a command prompt (run->cmd) and enter these commands exactly including the Quotes:
ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"​
now you can reconnect the cable. Wait 30 seconds and then see what assignment
has been made
ipconfig /all​
Winsock is a special Windows implementation to insert programs into the TCP Protocol stack. You can validate / correct these changes using
this KB Article

Snookkrook said:
..... I bought a ethernet card, not entirelt ....

what in gods name does that even means...?

Ok ...dude i can help you but....... you need to be a little bit more specific and coherent
on your posting.....

log on to the C-prompt , click on start , go to run and type CMD.. if you got XP.

*type : ipconfig /renew or try : ipconfig /release.

*If this doesnt work , then asign a static ip to your machine , use your
routers ip adress as your default gateway and use this static DNS :

208.67.222.222 (primary)
then 208.67.220.220 (secondary) (optional)

*after your done entering the addresses click ok and then close.

* go back to control panel , and click on network connections , right click on the connection icon and select disable ....(wait for it until its fully disabled) then right click again and select enable.

*P.S.

If you have a Cable modem and you have a router in the middle of the equation remember to clone the MAC address of your NIC card directly into your router.

i hope this helps , if not let me know....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back