iPadOS 14 will reportedly include full mouse cursor support

Polycount

Staff
Something to look forward to: Apple has always positioned the iPad as an alternative to traditional PCs (or, at least, laptops), but without proper built-in mouse support, that comparison has fallen flat -- sometimes, you need more precision than a touch screen alone can offer. It seems Apple understands that now, though. The company will reportedly be adding mouse cursor support to iPadOS 14 when it launches.

This news comes courtesy of 9to5Mac, which gained access to iPadOS 14 source code. According to the outlet, this will help iPads more closely resemble the desktop-like environment of a Mac, but without compromising on the devices' smaller, more convenient form factor.

This isn't the first hint we've gotten that Apple was planning full mouse support for iPads. As we reported last month, Apple has been working on a new keyboard design behind-the-scenes, which could launch later in the year with a built-in trackpad. If a trackpad-equipped keyboard is set to release, software-enabled mouse support is inevitable.

According to 9to5Mac, iPadOS 14's mouse cursor support will allow for changing arrow pointers (a hand for hovering over buttons, an arrow for general usage), as well as "tap to click" functionality. The outlet claims tap to click could indicate that the previously-mentioned upcoming iPad keyboards will have a "depression" system with haptic feedback.

Ultimately, none of us will know for sure what to expect until Apple begins talking more about these changes in an official capacity. Provided the coronavirus outbreak doesn't shake things up, we'll probably learn more about iPadOS 14 and its major tweaks at WWDC in a few months.

Permalink to story.

Adding mouse cursor is not difficult for Apple.
Apple simply greedily wanted you to buy macbook if you wanted to use mouse

Adding mouse cursor is not difficult for Apple.
Apple simply greedily wanted you to buy macbook if you wanted to use mouse

That depends entirely on if the UI is going to change when a mouse is plugged in. Something like that would require a decent bit of work. That's what I'd hope Apple does.

If it doesn't and you are just using a mouse on a tablet UI, I don't see much of an advantage of a mouse.

iPad is a content consumer.
Not a content producer.

As time wanes, they are slowly allowing the iPad to become more like a Macbook, but they never want it to be an alternative to one. I personally get more out of iOS than OSX because it's so much simpler to use.

But honest to God, this time it truly is a replacement for the desktop! Don't worry that we have said that ever since we released the ipad, we are telling the truth this time :p

iPad is a content consumer.
Not a content producer.

As time wanes, they are slowly allowing the iPad to become more like a Macbook, but they never want it to be an alternative to one. I personally get more out of iOS than OSX because it's so much simpler to use.

The iPad pro is a content producer. At least, that's it's intended market. IMO it seems to me like Apple is taking a look at approaching the hybrid laptop / tablet market. Devices that can serve multiple purposes.

If they finally add resolution scaling for a secondary screen, I would finally feel like my iPad Pro "the ultimate toilet reader" is getting somewhere.
+ If they would un-bake Safari core restrictions for other web browsers, I would be the happiest panda around.
iPad Pro is such a nice toy, some apps are terrific, yet the OS is not able to keep up with 3rd. party developers for this platform.

Creating content or doing any other work requires time and concentration and doing it on the go just doesn't make a lot of sense. I can see Apple making the iPad easier to use for work but there's no point to fill that space when Mac OS exists. Why would you hinder your self with a crappy, shallow, uncomfortable keyboard and a tiny screen when you can work in peace when you get home on a desktop on a big monitor and better, much more ergonomic peripherals?

The iPad pro is a content producer. At least, that's it's intended market. IMO it seems to me like Apple is taking a look at approaching the hybrid laptop / tablet market. Devices that can serve multiple purposes.
iPad Pro is a niche product designed for mythical people who simultaniously work and run marathons.

Back