iPhone 5 now rumored to be announced and released in August

Emil

Staff

Ever since the iPhone 5 was delayed, rumors have suggested production for the device will start in either July or September, but both expect it to arrive in time for this holiday season. Now a new rumor is claiming that the device will be announced right in the middle of the two: August 2011.

Apple has been giving some developers access to a device known as the iPhone 4S — an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals. Of course, that's not the iPhone 5, which has been rumored to have anything from an 8MP camera manufactured by Sony to a larger screen but thinner bezel.

In fact, the iPhone 5 will reportedly have a radical new case design, according to a reliable source cited by BGR. Many expect Apple to announce the next-generation iPhone at its annual September event, which is traditionally focused on iPods. Apple may, however, break tradition and hold an event in the beginning or middle of August to announce the new iPhone, with availability to follow in the last week of August. It's not clear what this means for the iPod event.

The iPhone 5 was largely expected to arrive this month, given the iPhone's history, but was delayed. The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. The iPhone 3G was introduced on June 9, 2008. The iPhone 3GS was announced on June 8, 2009 and arrived on June 19, 2009 in the first countries. The iPhone 4 was announced on June 7, 2010 and released on June 24, 2010.

Permalink to story.

4" 720p display please. Obviously the android OEMs don't want to beat apple's screen resolution even though they release new phones every ****ing week.

4 inch 720P display? I can understand the larger size, but 720P (i.e., 1280x720) on such a tiny screen is a waste of $. They would be better off trying to double the battery life, improve calling reception and integrate a mini-HDMI / Displayport to the phone. There has been a disturbing trend of people wanting crazy amount of pixels on tiny screens (like 1600P on a 12 inch notebook). I didn't realize some humans had the vision of a hawk. Not only that, but no serious professional subjects themselves to the pain of using a 10-12 inch laptop with such tiny resolution to "improve productivity". Similarly, a 720P display is only for bragging rights. They would be much better off trying to improve viewing angles, black levels (to match Plasma TVs), and refresh rates (to make gaming more acceptable).

Whenever the Grand Poobah speaks of breathtaking new features, the flock of sheep will line up at the local Apple store to get the new iPhone. If Jobs painted a piece of cardboard with the iPhone home screen people will go and buy it too. Apple is a cult!

Guest said:
4 inch 720P display? I can understand the larger size, but 720P (i.e., 1280x720) on such a tiny screen is a waste of $. They would be better off trying to double the battery life, improve calling reception and integrate a mini-HDMI / Displayport to the phone. There has been a disturbing trend of people wanting crazy amount of pixels on tiny screens (like 1600P on a 12 inch notebook). I didn't realize some humans had the vision of a hawk. Not only that, but no serious professional subjects themselves to the pain of using a 10-12 inch laptop with such tiny resolution to "improve productivity". Similarly, a 720P display is only for bragging rights. They would be much better off trying to improve viewing angles, black levels (to match Plasma TVs), and refresh rates (to make gaming more acceptable).
Nah, I'll take the 720p display. Why would you want an integrated mini-HDMI port? There's a $40 adapter for that!

Guest said:

We already have phone screens with black levels superior to plasma TVs. They're called super amoled displays. We also are capable of achieving great refresh rates and response times. OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of between 2 and 8 ms response time offering a frame rate of +/-240 Hz, an OLED can theoretically have less than 0.01 ms response time enabling 100,000 Hz refresh rates.

Princeton said:
Guest said:

We already have phone screens with black levels superior to plasma TVs. They're called super amoled displays. We also are capable of achieving great refresh rates and response times. OLEDs can also have a faster response time than standard LCD screens. Whereas LCD displays are capable of between 2 and 8 ms response time offering a frame rate of +/-240 Hz, an OLED can theoretically have less than 0.01 ms response time enabling 100,000 Hz refresh rates.

Why do you need that refresh rate when we are watching 30 or 60 fps video? Not much of a reason to have a future proof phone either.

Also I am going to go out on a limb and say the market demand isn't there for higher pixels per inch. There are so many new android phones coming out all the time and you don't see any using those higher res screens.

BrianUMR said:
Princeton said:
Guest said:

Why do you need that refresh rate when we are watching 30 or 60 fps video? Not much of a reason to have a future proof phone either.

Also I am going to go out on a limb and say the market demand isn't there for higher pixels per inch. There are so many new android phones coming out all the time and you don't see any using those higher res screens.

We don't have that refresh rate. I was responding to him saying we should be working towards that by letting him know that it's already possible, just not used.

Im Jez not Guest :D
Anyways I would like to see the next iphone shaped a bit more wedge like I have trouble at the moment with the current iphone keeping my door open... :D.

On a serious note iphone hardware is generally good I would like though for them to open the phone up a little more so we dont have to fanny around jailbreaking the device to make it into a decent phone.

AMOLED screens also burn in, i am sure the Apple fanboys would see it as a feature to enable prefetching of icons though.

Guest said:
AMOLED screens also burn in, i am sure the Apple fanboys would see it as a feature to enable prefetching of icons though.

So do plasma TVs, but nobody complains anymore because they've gotten to the point where it's minimal.

"the iPhone 5 will reportedly have a radical new case design"

People liked the iPhone4 and knew they were gonna get a great phone, yes i said great phone, but for some people it wasn't sexy and sleek enough for them, maybe the iPhone 5 will bring sexy back ;) Regardless the iSheep will flock as always and my eyes will continue to roll

aj_the_kidd said:
"the iPhone 5 will reportedly have a radical new case design"

People liked the iPhone4 and knew they were gonna get a great phone, yes i said great phone, but for some people it wasn't sexy and sleek enough for them, maybe the iPhone 5 will bring sexy back ;) Regardless the iSheep will flock as always and my eyes will continue to roll

Regardless of what people say the iphone 4 is designed extremely well. Unfortunately the durability of the glass they used made the execution of the design very poor. Why have a beautiful design when you have to use a case?

Back