iPhone jailbreaker George Hotz hacks PlayStation 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

In a blog post last Friday, George "geohot" Hotz claimed to have hacked the Sony PlayStation 3 after five weeks of work with "very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software." Hotz said he's gained read and write access to the entire system memory, as well as HV-level access to the processor.

"I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip."

Hotz said he wouldn't reveal the exploit yet, and noted that isn't really patchable -- though, Sony could make implementations more difficult. While he can't post the dumps, Hotz hopes to find the decryption keys and make those available.

George Hotz gained popularity for assisting the effort to jailbreak the Apple iPhone.

Permalink to story.

It seems Sony have done pretty well with the security of the PS3, most devices (Wii, Xbox, iPhone, PSP, DS) were hacked within months but it's been several years since the release of the PS3. Still, I don't think full scale pirating of PS3 games will happen for a long time, i.e. until people start upgrading to Blu-ray writers

its been 3 years, blueray writers... im pretty sure there'll be away to run a game without using a disc

If pirated games become available for the ps3 it would be interesting to see if their console sales suddenly shoot up.

ozworth said:
If pirated games become available for the ps3 it would be interesting to see if their console sales suddenly shoot up.

There were a number of pirated games for the old NES 20 years ago and I doubt you can name one that is worth playing. Pirated PS3 games would no doubt suffer the same drop in quality, if people did bother to actually print the Blu-Ray discs. You would have to hack Sony's proprietary online service as well to download content free obviating the necessity of a physical disc.

Teklord said:
ozworth said:

There were a number of pirated games for the old NES 20 years ago and I doubt you can name one that is worth playing. Pirated PS3 games would no doubt suffer the same drop in quality, if people did bother to actually print the Blu-Ray discs. You would have to hack Sony's proprietary online service as well to download content free obviating the necessity of a physical disc.

Teklord said:
ozworth said:

I can name a few off the top of my head Cobra Triangle,solar jetman,super mario bros,zelda.i dont remember any drop in quality occurring.I was merely interested if their sales of ps3s might increase in the event of pirated software becoming available.Not that it would help sony out much as they make all their money on the software.

From what it sounds like the average person would actually have a hard time hacking a ps3, and it wouldn't be as easy to do as the 360 or Wii. Game sizes especially on ps3 exclusives would probably make for huge downloads, and than you would need either a blue ray disk or run it off a hard drive. A 25-50 gb download wouldn't be easy for your average person to download and than burn, or find hard drives to hold them. Look at what pirating did to the PSP, hurt it badly id expect the same for ps3 if the average person would hack it.

I dont think it will change much in the short run; and if it did the system overhead will be huge in case there is no blue ray available; however, the information suggests its very unpractical for ordinary user to try it yet; so for now its just a news bit.

Sony has a choice here.....either pay GeoHot some cash to keep his mouth shut and not releasing the hack or take a risk by patching up in firmware and let Geo releasing the exploit to the world which will hurt Sony in the long run.

Replying to slh28

What Xbox are you referring to? Original or the 360?.....If your saying the 360...your wrong. To this day it hasn't been fully hacked. Yes...people can hack and modify the DVD firmware but the hackers really didn't fully open the back door as of yet like the hacked GeoHot just did with the PS3. Original Xbox on the other hand was fully HACKED and that is why it was MS descision to discontinue it and release the 360.

I think the difficulty is Sony keeps radically changing there OS as they put new features in.
Making it a moving target. I do think this is a 1st step (full access to the ps3's software) is the 1st major blow to hacking it however.

Yeah I was talking about the original Xbox... Hacking the 360 isn't great anyway since you would probably get banned online, and the most of the fun from the 360 comes from playing online.

Replying to slh28

What Xbox are you referring to? Original or the 360?.....If your saying the 360...your wrong. To this day it hasn't been fully hacked. Yes...people can hack and modify the DVD firmware but the hackers really didn't fully open the back door as of yet like the hacked GeoHot just did with the PS3. Original Xbox on the other hand was fully HACKED and that is why it was MS descision to discontinue it and release the 360.

Actually it's the fact the contracted Nvidia to make the video chip for the xbox with terms to unable renegotiation price. So they were paying the full price per chip even after it was cheap to make. They took nvidia to court... and lost.

hello ...

i can't wait for SONY to counter-attack & make it another secure system. I think those going after piracy doesn't really love to play games, they steal people's work & thus making developers working less & give us crappy games.

i wish for piracy never to hit the PS3 or any other future consoles from all manufacturers.

Pay for what's worth it, i will never MOD my console, i love the games i purchased & i'll be selective for what to buy in the future.

moreover, there will be no more torrents site, the PS3 games would be 50Gb to download & by experience (others here), i've seen death of more modded consoles than untouched ones.

i'm so sad that the PS3 is no more a crack-virgin, but its lineup is so good now that i don't care, it will survive & even Win the day ...

cheers!

either sony did a good job, or its just the fact that there arnt that many games to the console yet. ....it's starting to change, but they are still way behind on game realeases.

Hopefully something changes soon, used to like the playstation. ..but yet not at all interested in the PS3. .....sure, has blue-ray..but who cares.
It is more powerful hardware then the xbox360, but still no games realesed that uses it fully. Comming though.

More users, more games...makes for a much more interesting console to hack.

hello ...

@ JudaZ - not enough games on the PS3 ...i'm sorry but think you missed some episodes, LOL.

PS3 had an impressive 2009 lineup & will own 2010, so i don't think it is somewhat pinned down.

Blu-ray is what makes the PS3 the best, forget CPU/GPU power, like you siad, if not MAXxed out, worth nothing, yet when you have games like uncharted 2 & that's the console has more room for improvement, i say WOW!

this post is about, people wanting the PS3 to be like the others on piracy level, i think for all consoles, this thing is bad, for in the end we have crappy releases for the developers doesn't care working hard anymore.

piracy becomes a reality if people go this way, else OK 1 guy hacks it & nothing else happens, that's still great, that 1 guy can MAXxout the use of the beast while not stealing people's work.

i think, it would be perfect if console manufacturers didn't have to care about securing their system.
i'm talking too much, sorry @ first was so scared about the PS3 being hacked, yet now i'm confident over 1 thing, there's still a way to block it, it may cost a little, but totally possible, not only with a forced firmware, where even games would need them to run, but also with some external USB dongle than can also be used for other purposes, like boosting the PS3 capabilities, with added memory to the system for temporary cache (like using readyboost feature on PC) ...

so this topic better be off, Geohot is strong enough to break into it once, but next time it will be a real challenge ...

cheers!

Anything can be hacked. Piracy has always existed and will always exist. Piracy is not an excuse for game developers to make crappy games. That's like saying stores will stock only crappy products because a certain % of people steal. It is EXACTLY the same. If game developers want money, they make a good game. Simple as that. It has nothing to do with piracy.

Replying to slh28

Yes, I agree, It's not worth hacking so we can get banned or play a backup of a copied game which is wrong of doing.

That wrong, Once hackers opened the FULL backdoor it was over for MS. They couldn't patch it even if they wanted too. Nvida is another story.... When Nvidia didn't really wanted to negotiate a deal with MS and charge MS alot of money for the chipset for ther next project (360), MS backed out and went straight to AMD that will produce them a inferior chipset for haif the cost.

PS3 is Not More Powerful than Xbox 360, says Ex-Harmonix DevOctober 26, 2007 | By: James Brightman| More Sony has said that the PlayStation 3 has more power than Microsoft's Xbox 360, but that it requires a bit of patience and legwork to leverage that power. Jason Booth, a former developer from Harmonix, just doesn't see it happening. He thinks game designers are trying to match PS3 games to 360 games at best.
Jason Booth, a former Turbine and Harmonix developer who has worked on both Guitar Hero games and Rock Band, has posted some interesting comments on his blog regarding "PS3 misconceptions and spin."

"I read various game forums from time to time, and often see gamers complaining about 'lazy ports' to the PS3. They often mention how the PS3 is the most powerful game console and blame developers working on the console for doing a bad job. Sony has all of these people duped by impressive marketing spin... ports to the PS3 will never be as good as their 360 counter parts, and ...most PS3 exclusives will likely continue to suck," he says.

First and foremost, Booth doesn't think PS3 really has a graphical advantage. Why? "Fill rate is one of the primary ways to measure graphics performance - in essence, it's a number describing how many pixel operations you can perform. The fill rate on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, meaning that games either have to run at lower resolution or use simpler shader effects to achieve the same performance," he says. "Additionally, the shader processing on the PS3 is significantly slower than on the 360, which means that a normal map takes more fill rate to draw on the PS3 than it does on the 360. And I'm not talking about small differences here, we're talking roughly half the pixel pushing power."

He also suggests that Blu-ray is not really an advantage: "[It's] great for watching movies, but not so great for games. Getting data off the Blu-ray drive takes about twice as long as it does to get the same data off the 360's DVD drive. That translates into longer load times, or god forbid if you're streaming from disk, tighter constraints on the amount of data you can stream."

He acknowledges that with the greater storage space of Blu-ray "there is the potential to use that to do something cool," but he argues that "most developers who use the entire Blu-ray drive are doing it to work around other problems with the PS3 such as its slow loading."

He adds, "For instance, in Resistance: Fall of Man, every art asset is stored on disk once for every level that uses it. So rather than storing one copy of a texture, you're storing it 12 times. If you took that entire game and removed all the duplicate data, it would likely fit on a DVD without any problem."

Ultimately, Booth says "the performance centric research into the PS3 has been around making it easier for developers to get the same level of performance you get out of the 360 naturally... developers must spend significantly more time and resources getting the PS3 to do what the 360 can already do easily and with a lot less code... On top of this, there is shrinking incentive to do this work; the PS3 isn't selling."

Whether these comments can be taken at face value is up to you; Booth adds at the end of his post that his remarks "might come across as a lot of Sony bashing, but it's just the reality from the trenches." It's an interesting perspective nonetheless.

hello ...

@ anguis - piracy may not be an excuse, but removes the incentives, with a risk of having a bad Return On Investment, if you were in their place, what would you do!

@ realxboxmaster - I agree with you about the fact that if you open the backdoor, it is too late.
But i don't see the article about the Xbox360 vs PS3 as a good argument, 1st because it was written in 2007, a time where everyone were bashing the PS3 & most were not even right about what was inside.
Still i'm not saying that the PS3 owns the Xbox360, yet all the different things makes it almost the better system for a lot of reasons.

It is the best blu-ray player i've seen & we don't get that much problem with load time, don't forget that the games are installed & the HDD can be upgraded.

I would not confirm that the PS3 is more powerful, but its ressources even if some cases seem (i mean seem here!) lower, they are optimised to give great experiences on various level.

The PS3 is the best console for those loving God of War

The Xbox360 is the best console for those loving Halo

So no need to argue, i'm sure they both have the power needed to play the games intended for their platform.

Just have a look at Uncharted 2 & still the PS3 has not yet been MAXxed out!

but here, the problem is that some dude wants to hack the system & says he doesn't do so for piracy, well i would say: Oh yeah, really!!! .. I do believe you!

Cheers!

Btw something that has not been mentioned yet... If the PS3 were to be capable of playing backups, I reckon it would actually cost more money to buy a Blu-ray burner + discs and download the 25-50GB file (via electricity costs) since there probably wouldn't be that many seeders.

Since not many people have PS3s here the pre-owned games are really cheap. All of my PS3 games are 2nd hand... although that may change once FFXIII and GT5 come out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back