Is HyperThreading important?

vhalz

is hyper threading that impotant??...im investing on gtx 560 ti and core i5 2400 that doesn't have hyper threading...
is it important for me to play gta 5 on 1366x768 resolution..

Hi there. I've read up on this just a bit and it appears that most games yield slightly better framerates with HT off. The difference is negligible and the consensus -- I think -- is that HT doesn't really matter that much in gaming. I'd say this is especially true if you have an overclocked CPU.

I've tried HT on and HT off and could not actually see or feel the difference in games -- haven't tried any of the GTA series, though.

From my experience with my old Pentium4, HT yields better FPS in some games, and worse FPS in some. There's no one-size-fits-all solution in that case IMHO. Experiment with what works best for you.

Games that support it offer minor advantages, but don't fret it's nothing significant. Unless you plan on playing games at Ultra-Super-Max with Texture Mods I doubt you will notice.

Hyper Threading, man talk about taking me back! I haven't heard the term Hyper Threading since it was all the rave back in the Pentium III and Pentium 4 days! I don't think that technology is still being offered today, kind of dinosaur if you ask me!

Generally HT doesn't make a difference when gaming. I know I keep it turned off on my 2600k.

I keep it on with my 2600k, but I never see any games use those additional threads. I just can't be bothered to fiddle with it - the tiny about of gain from disabling it for some games isn't worth my time. It's great to have it on for media encoding though! New flac encodes or video transcodes are definitely faster with it on.

Yeah HT is useful for other applications outside of gaming. I keep mine off to keep Temps low. Apparently HT will generate quite a bit of heat on a OC'd CPU.

There is a possibility of mutli-core +/- threading to improve performance,
BUT as this link says, games with only one thread get no benefits.

So, first the programmer has to implement threaded programming,
then the hardware platform can add performance by
  1. using SMP
  2. using multiple cores
  3. running with a hyperthread processor
and it is possible to have all three co-exisit, but you would find 2+3 sooner that 1+3

Back