Is my keyboard salvageable?

GoRockYerself

I've got an Asus N61 notebook. The hinges decided to snap a few months ago and I got some new ones the other day. After painstakingly installing them I noticed the keyboard wasn't working properly.
Some keys are linked weirdly. If I press the d, k, or 6 key it prints 6dk. If I press the backspace or 8 key, it backspaces then prints an 8. The strangest one of all, if I press the = key, it prints an equals sign then the time and date.
The on screen keyboard works fine...

You need to re-insert the keyboard flat cable and make sure that the connector lock is properly set

I've tried a couple times, and the same problem remains. Any suggestions on making sure the ribbon is properly in place, other than it feeling square, and locking the connector?

Look at the underside of the keyboard flat cable. If it is scratched or damaged in anyway, you will have to replace the keyboard. Damage can occur if you pull the cable out of it's connector without releasing the connector lock first

I couldn't see any damage. I've tried re-atraching several times, and it hasn't made a difference, the problem remains the same. I'm just going to order another one, and hope it isn't an issue with the motherboard or something.
Thanks for your help.

Just got the new keyboard today, and was excited to install it. The same problem remains with the new keyboard. Bah!

Back